Starcraft 18' Nova I/O - Long Restoration

wdemaster

Cadet
As mentioned above, I have acquired an 18' Starcraft Nova I/O. I found it on craigslist last year and fell in love with instantly. I finally got it running this year, and have had the chance to have it out a few times this year. It is a blast! And all the older gentlemen compliment the find when I stop in the bars along the river.

Anyhow, here is the situation. It is over all a very solid boat. Floor doesnt flex and isnt rotting through. Hull is in great shape, as in not repaired anywhere and barely takes on any water what-so-ever. The motor has great power for being a potential 40 years old. Even the transom is good and solid.

When it comes to the upholstery, however, it has issues. The vinyl is cracking and coming unstapled from the wood frame because it is rotting out. From pictures of other Nova's I've found around, it looks like its the original interior. I dont feel the need to keep it the same, but it would be nice to keep it similar. OR, if anyone knows a source for 3/4" or 1" black/white checker vinyl, I could make myself a cheap trick boat!

Does anyone have any experience buying vinyl online? If so, where? What should I watch out for/stay away from? And most importantly, does anyone know where to find checkerboard vinyl?

Are seats hard to re-upholster? I'd like to do it myself so I dont have to spend an arm and a leg having someone else do it.

Thanks for the help!

-Wes

Boat 1.jpgBoat 2.jpgBoat 3.jpgBoat 4.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 5.jpg
    Boat 5.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 4

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft 18' Nova I/O - Long Restoration

NO experience with vinyl here.. But that is a pretty clean hull for sure! Hope you can keep it lookin in tip top shape up there in the land o lakes... :)