battery and gas tank storage

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi guys, I have another quesion. at the rear of my pontoon there is a storage area, one side I have two 3 gal fuel tanks, and the other compartment I have 2 batterys. my question is, I know the batterys weigh more than the fuel tanks, so do you think it would be safe to put 1 battery and a fuel tank in each compartment, or should I keep it the way it is now. two batterys one one side and 2 fuel tanks on the other side.
thanks
Jack

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: battery and gas tank storage

I think it would be safer to keep them separated.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The risk of a spark from a battery close a fuel tank isn't a good thing to think about.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

The risk of a spark from a battery close a fuel tank isn't a good thing to think about.

I guess that is whyvthey are in seperate compartments. Thanks guys

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The options that I can think of is a motor pod tank or a under deck tank both would help out and add some storage space but the tanks are sort of expensive or like on mine. My 6 gal tanks are in trays above the pontoons on the outside of the fence, that's the old way of mounting them I like having them there for easy access to refuel at the dock.

on slip 640.jpg

I did move the battery to under a back seat into a separate compartment I made to balance it out a bit. I only use one battery group 31 and my little 15 hp motor can be hand cranked if needed, haven't had to yet and I added a percent of charge meter to keep a eye on it.

127671334-450x450-0-0_marinetech+battery+gauges.jpg

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks James
as you can see the compartments are where your platform is