What is best flat tappet cam for 5.7?

crazedflyer

Recruit
I have a 350 5.7 engine that i need a flat tappet cam for and have no clue what would be good for a boat. Does anyone know of a good cam and part number? Thanks

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is best flat tappet cam for 5.7?

Check with Competition Cams or Lunati Cams (both in Memphis) for marine specific camshafts.

Both have customer service reps that are well versed on such issues. One of them will have the pieces needed for your boat.

Problem with marine usage is that a camshaft needs to be ground for relatively low rpm's and high torque. They need to be very smooth idling, and come off an idle with power to plane off the boat and/or pull skiers. Marine camshafts almost need to be ground like a medium truck camshaft than something intended for use in a Camaro.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Comp Cams and Lunati both make great cams, but they can get a little pricey. Summit racing makes a good cam also, you can use something like the Summit Sum-K1102. Its works from 1500-4000 rpms. It makes good torque right off idle and it has a pretty flat torque curve. It also carries a great price at 99.00, for the cam and lifter kit. I have ran atleast 8 or 9 of them cams in 4x4s, they are good quality and a few of the 350's have 80k mils on them. Not easy miles either.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have had great success with Comp Cams myself. Whatever you decide, don't build your engine to hot rod specs. Boats need different grinds to work properly and hot rodders go for lots of HP and high revs verses low torque that boats need and use... I think you should at least call Comp Cams and talk to them for their ideas and specs. They will know their cams and specs and what boat engines need better then anybody else on these forums...JMHO!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From personal experience I would recommend a Comp Cams 252 H, smooth idle ,gobs of bottom end torque, peak torque at 3400 peak HP at 4500 . I have used them in both boats and 4x4s, work great.