Help me come up with a new seating arrangement for my Holiday

and2ram

Seaman
Good morning everyone. I'm trying to figure out how to best to remodel the seating arrangement in my Holiday. The late model Holiday's are pretty spartan inside and I only have two swivel helm seats up front. Unlike older Holidays I don't have the stern seats adjacent the engine well. I have a full width splashwell. I do a lot of fishing but also like to bring company along for rides, I'd say 50% of the time it's my wife, baby, and I. 30% of the time I'm by myself. 20% of the time I have 4 or more people come with me. While I want a new setup I also don't want to spend a thousand bucks on new seats.

Here's are the 3 options I came up with.

1. Keep the starboard side helm seat for me and replacing the port side seat with a fold down lounge style seat. Having never had the fold down seat what do you all think of them?

2. Keep original seating in place. Add 2 pedastal seats behind the existing seats.

3. Build seat boxes with storage and take the existing seats off their pedastals and install them on top of the carpeted boxes. I would build the boxes long enough to add a pair of swivel seats directly behind the helm/front passenger seats.

What would you all do?

Andrew

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help me come up with a new seating arrangement for my Holiday

Any more information on which Holiday you have? Length? i/0 or outboard powered?

and2ram

Seaman

18' outboard...I need to get that in my signature :)

and2ram

Seaman

Signature test

...success!

North Beach

Commander

Knowing what I know now my vote would be for the fold down seats. The 18 footer gets small really fast and I spent a good bit on my captains chairs up front and spend most of my time at the helm either standing or one knee kneeling on the seat.

and2ram

Seaman

Good to know, and it kind of confirms what I was pondering. If I had gone with 4 pedastals walking around would be limited. Thanks!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

What are fold down seats... fold down pedestal seats?

Im in the same boat, I have an 18' open bow starcraft I have yet to finish. I own back to back seats im going to try first

Monkey_Tang

Cadet

i'm also redoing my 18ft holiday. I havent bought any seats yet but I was thinking about doing a pedestal seat for the driver, a back to back lounge chair for the passenger, and 2 jump seats in the back corners against the splash well. I was originally going to put a bench across the entire back but I figured that would make it a bit difficult to get to the gas tanks / batteries / anything under the splash well.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And2ram,
I fish out of my boat every time I take it out. I went very unconventional. I HATE crawling over seats all day long. I put in one permanently mounted pedestal at the helm and I just take nice comfortable folding camp chairs, (kind that fold up and go in a small sleeve bag) per number of person(s) going with me. One person, one chair, two, 2 chairs etc. They can be moved where ever you want them, folded up and stored under the bow if not wanted, move front to help plane, back to fish etc... I have never had trouble with them tipping or being unstable. I have spent the night comfortably by folding up the chairs and putting out two large cots and/or a queen blow-up. Put up a card table and played euchre when fishing got slow.

Works for me

Grzzzz

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

...Having never had the fold down seat what do you all think of them?

I've had a set of back to back seats for a number of years in my 16' closed bow.
deck space was 9'6" x 5'

I mostly anchor and fish all lines straight back, and for this I do like lounging in the back to back seats. When anchored, we would tend to push them forward, partially under the dash to achieve the most deck space. 3rd person usually just sits on a cooler...poor guy has to get up and hand over beers all day

I feel that in an ideal world, the back to back seats would be on an adjustable track of some sort, im not sure if that is ever done.

On my new boat im working on, I might buy at least one petestal seat for the helm... not really sure yet.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A single pedestal captains chair at the helm, and...
this !!

UbvXjtv.jpg

9GsQPkD.jpg

Maybe make part of it removable for the more serious fishing days.

and2ram

Seaman

Haha! I'm diggin it guys! Very Andy Warhol.

CTSF, your beer server got me thinking...what if I just got a big padded Igloo cooler? It could be moved anywhere in the boat, and it serves a purpose. If nothing else it's an easy and cheap(er) way to start. I'm going to have to look into this!

Thanks for all the feedback it's much appreciated.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

A single pedestal captains chair at the helm, and...

UbvXjtv.jpg

9GsQPkD.jpg

Maybe make part of it removable for the more serious fishing days.

I actually like this set up for a family boat.

For a fishing boat I'd want it all removable pedestals or like grzzzz said wiht the folding camp chairs....

barato2

Commander

if i did the folding camp chairs, i think i'd wrap the base of alum frame in heater hose or something so they don't chew up your flooring

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 16ft Open bow SS and I am replacing the back to back with pedestals THIS weekend. I have had the pedestals in my previous 18' (Shut IT EZ! I like the 16'! I do....) and I prefer them by a LONG shot for numerous reasons:

Back to back take up A LOT of floor space! Try fishing all day with 4 guys in a 16 or 18' with back to back and with tackle boxes, lunch cooler, beer cooler and you will find out quickly space is LIMITED!

Pedestals Give you MORE floor space! Tucking tackle boxes under the seats, tucking whatever else under the seats AND opening access to the sides of the boat that would run along the back to back is worth the pedestals.

Pedestals can be removed. I am going fishing in June at Lake of the Woods with only 3 of us, me and 2 buddies. While we are fishing we will be removing one of the pedestal seats. LOTS of room now in the back of the boat, awesome for fishing! Biggest reason for me!

Go with pedestals, you wont regret it.

Chuck