VE150TXESB primer solenoid gasket question/issue

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an Evinrude VE150TXESB 150 HP V6 outboard on my boat. Since I've bought the boat used, I've been going through it with a fine tooth comb. There is little that I hate more than dealing with minor issues. It's better to spend some time and money working out all of the kinks up front because then you know what you're dealing with and you gain familiarity with the engine.

Anyway, I've had a hard time starting the outboard. I hadn't gotten to the fuel primer system until last night. To get started, I pumped the fuel bulb and disconnected the 2 small lines that come out of the fuel primer solenoid. When I pushed in the key, no fuel came out. I had already done an initial check of the voltage to the solenoid and I knew that it was getting voltage. I took the top off of the solenoid and found 2 gaskets in there. All of the diagrams that I've seen show a single gasket. One gasket was flat rubber and the other was flat as well but had a raised portion about the size of a nickel on it.

With both gaskets in place, the red lever wouldn't catch on the detente pin on the housing and you could spin it all the way around. It is supposed to have a bit less that 180 degrees of motion. Also with both gaskets in place, the solenoid wouldn't work. I think that this is a previous owner or incompetent mechanic issue.

I reassembled the unit with the single gasket and had my son press in the key. As soon as he did that gas shot out the ports as I would have expected. I reattached the lines to the carburetors and the motor starts in cold conditions as it should.

Has anyone seen one of these with 2 gaskets installed before?
Is it possible that there is a rebuild kit available with 2 gaskets and someone figured that they had to use them?
Is there a reason why the gasket with the raised area should be used over the flat one?

As it stands, it now works as expected so I am content. I just like to know if one should be used over the other.

Thanks as always.
John

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: VE150TXESB primer solenoid gasket question/issue

The few primer solenoids that I have worked on had one gasket/diaphragm with the raised nickel sized area where it was thicker. Go to the Evinrude online parts catalog and look at the intake manifold exploded view for your year and model, and you should have your answer.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: VE150TXESB primer solenoid gasket question/issue

Bombardier sells a factory kit for repairing that diaphragm. 175158. It comes with the upgraded schrader valve and one diaphragm, new o rings. The schrader valve kit is esp handy for injecting either aerosol fogging oil or Engine Tuner. You might want to consider the upgrade. Around $ 9.