1975 Ranger 150a restoration, 1st boat project!

I just bought a 1975 Ranger 150a. It has an Evinrude 70 (2 stroke, 3 cylinder) hanging on a very rotten transom. The trailer is in decent shape, everything from the bilge pump to the trolling motor works. I think I made a decent buy at $600.

So far all I've been able to do is clean it up and test everything, pictures to follow. I'm new to all of this, but I am looking forward to the tasks at hand!

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1975 Ranger 150a restoration, 1st boat project!

That's the smallest ranger I've ever seen! Will be fun I'm thinking. Lots of knowledge on here to help when you get to the demo and rebuild stages. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, I do still.

I've bleached the seats, they are all pretty and white now... hoping to get the motor off and start on the transom this week. I have read some Seacast reviews and such on here, what is the cost to do a boat this size (roughly)? It seems like an easier fix with great results, but this is certainly a build on a tight budget!

Jason

That's the smallest ranger I've ever seen! Will be fun I'm thinking. Lots of knowledge on here to help when you get to the demo and rebuild stages. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, I do still.

It's a beast, isn't it? :) I'm thinking the 70 should move it along nicely... I plan on leaning on the forum often, thank you!

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck with it. I'm interested to see how this goes. It looks like a lot of work but I agree it would be fun! Hopefully you can get that boat safe to without having to spend too much $$.

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you do a compression test on it or run it in the water?

Ran it in the water. It was on my cousins boat lift, I started it but used the trolling motor to get it to the ramp, didn't trust the transom even at idle.

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't blame you there. I was just curious because sometimes they will seem to run ok on earmuffs but will have other issues with a load on the motor in the water and wont plane out. Curious how the floor is. It wouldn't be surprising to have rotted out stringers and deck if the transom is that bad. I have heard seacast can be used for stringers as well. Not sure if your budget will allow you to get that deep into the project though.

The floor is solid, nothing spongy in it at all. I am going to drill a couple of holes to check the stringers, as bad as the transom is, I suspect they are going to be bad.

The previous owner drove it to the lift just under a year ago, it sat there until I rescued it. I may need to clean the carbs, but it was winterized before sitting.

My steering cable is broken, the outer sleeve is ripped and I'm not sure how much is missing. From what I've seen, this is the key to measuring the cable... any suggestions on what length to use, or how to measure it?

Got the motor off, cut the transom cap and pulled it off (not as easy as I expected!) and have started removing the rot. There is a fiberglass wall in between the wood on this boat, goes all the way to the bottom and is glassed in. the boat curves out at the very bottom of the transom... is this backed by wood? I haven't made it that far down yet, and if it is, I have ZERO ideas how to replace that. Maybe use seacast for that, then wood on top? Is that doable?

crovowen

Seaman Apprentice

Looks alot like my 79 Kingfisher. I will be repairing my transom also. following to see your progress and help with my motivation!

Timms

Cadet

Sent you a PM. I just picked up a 75 Ranger this morning on a Holtsclaw trailer and it has a 75 Mercury 850 on it. I will post some pictures when it quits raining. I don't see the Model on it anywhere just a Hull ID number. It says on the Title it is 15'0 ft long. It looks like yours except it doesn't have the side rails.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Got the motor off, cut the transom cap and pulled it off (not as easy as I expected!) and have started removing the rot. There is a fiberglass wall in between the wood on this boat, goes all the way to the bottom and is glassed in. the boat curves out at the very bottom of the transom... is this backed by wood? I haven't made it that far down yet, and if it is, I have ZERO ideas how to replace that. Maybe use seacast for that, then wood on top? Is that doable?

I would suggest you continue with the demolition phase AND as a side project ....start going through the motor to get that ready.

Take out your ruler and measure the transom height" x width" x thickness" and divide by 231 and that will give you gallons. Seacast is sold in large buckets ($220 for 5 gallons and I bet your transom is almost 6-8 gallons in volume) I seriously doubt your older bargain priced ranger is worth that money and I would go the old fashioned way with plywood.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome to the Iboats Dry Dock, Fiberglass Division, Letsg0fishing...
Looks like a nice fishing machine to restore and I would like to come aboard and watch...
Best advice has already been given...
Take tons of pictures and measurements and continue gutting it till you are down to raw fiberglass...
Plywood, properly encased in resin/glass will last many, many years and will be a lot easier, and less expensive to work with...
Sea Cast is a great product and does make for a rot-free structure, but you have to create a mold to pour it in...
If you decide this is the way you want to go, there are a couple of guys here who have done it with much success and have documented the procedure in there build threads...
"archbuilder"; http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ki-boat-complete-restore-splashed-364284.html
...and...
"sphelps"; http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto.../mfg-rebuild-getting-started-pics-523969.html

Best of luck and Have Fun!
GT1M:)