What is this? (motor control box)

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Stupid question most likely. But what is that black button thing? I never tried to push it or flip it or anything like that.
Just got the boat and forgot to ask the owner.
2013-04-16%2019.36.48.jpg

jestor68

Commander
Re: What is this? (motor control box)

If it's a toggle switch that can be moved up and down, it's likely the kill switch that you attach your safety lanyard to.

Start the motor and move it down; it should shut off the motor.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds great! I'll try it out once I finally get it on the water.

I never had one with a safety lanyard. how would that help if you had to switch it down? I would think something like a jetski setup would be better (if it gets pulled out it shuts off)

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stupid question most likely. But what is that black button thing? I never tried to push it or flip it or anything like that.
Just got the boat and forgot to ask the owner.
2013-04-16%2019.36.48.jpg

all i see is a red x. a pic would be nice

johnj11

Cadet

electric choke? usually switch key off to shut down. Yes MOB switch or kill switch are usually like you desribed

cr2k

Captain

Safety lanyard connection. It has a fork base to slide under the lip and a top piece to hold the button in. If the boat runs without it someone has disconnected the switch.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like it might be the kill switch but not one that goes up and down like a toggle. It looks to be one that pulls in and out. You would pull it out and place the lanyard clip in it to stop it from going back in. If you pull the lanyard out the switch would pop back in and kill the motor. Kind of hard to tell from the pic :noidea: but thats what it looks like to me. Who knows, this could be the second time in my life I've been wrong... I thought I was wrong once before but I was mistaken. :lol:

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My vote is a kill switch. Mine is a toggle style not like the lift style that most outboards or seadoos have.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

so I checked this out today while tinkering around with stuff. Its a push button. Momentary switch (such as a horn)

..... any ideas?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

As discribed before it is in fact a kill switch. There is supposed to be a plastic clip that is attached to a cord which then attaches to the driver. Yes just like a jetski/waverunner. Both of the OMC control boxes I have use them.