aq 125b with 270 od,need help guide me to replace exhaust bellow

zildgen70

Cadet
i have a 1986 capri with volvo aq 125b 270 outdrive and im trying to figure if i need to take the exhaust manifold off to replace the engine exhaust bellow.not the lower drive bellow.cant find anything on youtube or any forums,im trying to save myself the 100 dollars an hour and im very mechanically inclined and have alot of tools,but never worked on an i/o this is new to me .i need a brief description of where to start,my engine overheated,i replaced the broken sea pump,and had water leaking from my exhaust bellow when i took it back out,i loosened the hose clamps and see there is only a inch or two between the manifold and pipe do i need to take the manifold off or is there a trick to this.please help.

zildgen70

Cadet
Re: aq 125b with 270 od,need help guide me to replace exhaust bellow

yes the bellow has a crack in it looks like a weather crack

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm pretty sure I was able to just squeeze mine through that 1" gap. It's kind of a struggle but not too bad. You can just cut the old one off and use some liquid detergent on the new one to help it slide in there.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, that's what I did too. Cut off the old one and wrestled the new one on. It was a pain in the neck, but it went on through that tiny gap.

zildgen70

Cadet

ok thanks ,thats what i will do