Wiring Kill Switch

edwardz71

Cadet
Hey guys I recently got a 1986 Hydra-sport x-270 with a 1978 Mercury 115. I bought a kill switch cord that hooks to the kill switch on the Quicksilver control, but to find out that the switch does not kill the engine when it is flipped. Is there any way I can test the switch, I'm thinking it was unhooked somewhere in it's life. What Is the best way to fix this, I'm not sure where the kill switch would hook on the switch box on the engine. I have a service manual for the merc. but it doesn't mention the kill switch wiring.

Thanks
Edward

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Wiring Kill Switch

The wire is proberly orange fore the killing switch circuit (on switchbox),on your control its black/yellow.

Look at this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-mariner-outboards/mercury-90-wiring-help-needed-303355.html

You can measure fore continuity beetween the pins on the controll box connecter while operating the kill switch to see if killing switch is working.
If not working,you have to tear apart the control,and see fore loose/bad connectors.

Remember,do not hook or unhook wires while connected to battery voltage.

Last edited:

edwardz71

Cadet

Thanks Ice man, I believe the wire is not hooked up somewhere between the switch and the switchbox.

edwardz71

Cadet

I took the orange wire that was grounded on the switchbox and hooked it on the other side of the switchbox, to a leg that one of the distributor wires is connected to. Now when I hit the kill switch it kills the engine like it should. I hope it want hurt anything being on that connection with the distributor.

thanks for the help
edward

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remember that motor depends on voltage also to have spark. Don't forget to shut off the ign key when not using it.

edwardz71

Cadet

Thanks for the help ya'll, with this old merc im sure I will have more questions.