What happened out west?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I keep my eye out for a diesel tow wagon that fits my budget. I've noticed lately in my area a rash of tow wagons brought in "from out west" with below list pricing. Did something out west ( like a flood )toast a bunch of vehicles to watch out for?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: What happened out west?

Nope, nothing major I know of, been pretty calm here in the west for the last few months.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What area do you refer to as the West? I ask that because the West can be many different locations depending on where you live.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For me, where snow is an exception not a rule.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There is a thin sliver of territory along the West Coast that widens when you go south into California where snow is less common, but from the Cascade Mountains east snow and cold temps are normal in the winter. There are fewer people living in these areas so it doesn't get as much attention though. The record Snow fall totals are all from Washington State, it had been at 92' until that was broken with a new measurement of 105' (or close to that). I just had snow a week ago less than 40 miles from my house, it was only freezing at my place, some areas still get snow in June.

While we do get snow and freezing temps, we don't get the bitter cold that the Mid West experiences and most of the major cities are located near the coast at very low elevations, so they don't see the more severe weather that occurs a hundred miles or so inland.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah only thing I can think of is fuel costs, I guess it could also be truck types, I know there are lots of Dodges coming to Colorado from Texas, Diesels are still a hot market here in Colorado.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Don't know how much of a factor it is - but here in So. Cal. fuel prices are among the highest in the nation (at least here in San Diego). Maybe these are the bigger, thirstier rigs? Also, the price of diesel here is frequently higher than the price of gas. Fuel efficiency aside, maybe that's part of the equation.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, I'm looking at F250 size rigs, so fuel is probably an issue. Agreed, nobody looks at how much more efficient they are. Too bad automakers can't be convinced to go a six cylinder diesel as a compromise.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Since trucks are the highest selling items it only makes sense there are more of them on the used market. I don't see diesel as a cost effective solution, while they do get better mileage, the cost up front and maintenance more than offset any MPG advantage they have on the road, at least for the average guy.

Not knocking diesels, just that the numbers don’t work out to make them less costly.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't know how much of a factor it is - but here in So. Cal. fuel prices are among the highest in the nation (at least here in San Diego). Maybe these are the bigger, thirstier rigs? Also, the price of diesel here is frequently higher than the price of gas. Fuel efficiency aside, maybe that's part of the equation.

There is your reason. CARB is cracking down on anything that uses diesel. Funny, CA has the best fuel quality in the US.

The rest of the US diesel fuel quality is absolute CRAP.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't hear? There was an earthquake and California sunk into the ocean. The trucks you're seeing are the floaters left behind.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Yea, I'm looking at F250 size rigs, so fuel is probably an issue. Agreed, nobody looks at how much more efficient they are. Too bad automakers can't be convinced to go a six cylinder diesel as a compromise.

The Dodge Cummins is a 6 cylinder.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I would research the history of each VIN a little more.

Common knowledge that a LOT of eastern flooded vehicles.

I wouldn't put it past anyone to ship drowned vehicle west, re-title them, (wash the title), then start moving them east and selling them with a 'clean' title NOT labeled 'Salvage Vehicle'.

Factory dealers may be able to tell you where a VIN was originally sold.

Carfax will let you check X # of VINS for a fee.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

There is a thin sliver of territory along the West Coast that widens when you go south into California where snow is less common, .... .

Whoa there guy .... let's not be telling our secrets to the back east types. Remember what happened when the California people found out about the Willamette Valley!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

The Dodge Cummins is a 6 cylinder.

Yep pretty much always will be, when Ford and Chevy can't figure out how to make the same horsepower with less then 8 cylinders....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Yep pretty much always will be, when Ford and Chevy can't figure out how to make the same horsepower with less then 8 cylinders....

Dodge uses Cummins QSB diesels. Its a true Mid Range duty diesel. Ford used Navistar's Light Duty diesel until recently when they decided to build their own after the failed contract with Cummins to buy a light duty V8. And Chevrolet uses Isuzu diesels now with the Duramax.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What I don't get, Isuzu already has a six cylinder diesel. I figure for those of us that don't a bazillion torque-horses, a six would up the torque over gas and the economy as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Its all "specmanship" in the brochures. Our truck has more cylinders......blah blah blah, our truck has more torque..... blah blah blah.....our truck has an Alison transmission......blah blah blah.

could GM use the Isuzu 6, yes. would they - no. a smaller output engine doesnt sell as many trucks

If you want fuel economy in a diesel, reduce the parasitic loads. most diesel engines I have ever had a fuel curve for burned between .31 and .34 #/hp hr of fuel. didnt matter on displacement, number of cylinders, etc.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess the way I see it, since I'm a GM guy, most everybody with their big diesels are claiming close to 20 mpg being sane with it at a $7000 hit it price. The 5.3 for what it's worth gets a mighty 14 combined with around 300 ft/lbs torque. A six cylinder diesel should easily get past 22 mpg and more torque at no where near $7000 premium. Sounds like more sales to me.