Sleeping on our cruiser.....input needed

jobofly

Seaman
Hey guys we just bought our first boat, it's a sea ray weekender 230. I'm excited about staying on our boat at the marina but my wife is not. She doesn't think she will be able to sleep on the boat. Have any of you ran into this problem with your significant other? If so how did you address it?

Thanks

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sleeping on our cruiser.....input needed

Tell her no problem, she will sleep like a newborn baby. The gentle motions will rock her away to sleep land easy as pie. Works great for kids too...first time I had my 2 year old grandson on boat he was asleep before we left the dock.
As long as there is some ventilation so you can control temperatures it will be fine.
Like being on a water bed, sleep sound or engage in and activity you like. :)

jobofly

Seaman

We will only sleep on it at the marina, not out on the lake at all. I'm going to install a high water alarm, I think that will help her sleep better

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might consider a "go slow" approach- get her confident in the boat. Take her out on day trips before tackling an overnight. She might also be concerned with conveniences associated with night time such as showering, brushing teeth, potty. Hopefully your marina has nice facilities for such. I'm sure the ones on your Weekender are fairly spartan at best.

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We will only sleep on it at the marina, not out on the lake at all. I'm going to install a high water alarm, I think that will help her sleep better
I agree with Four Winns, you might want to take Her out on a couple of day trips first. Let Her see that the Boat's Sea Worthy & doesn't have a Great Big Leak. Some Boats seem to take on a bit of water. I've chased a small leak in mine for years. But, it would take a pretty big leak to sink a boat over night.
Also, you might want to use an automatic Bilge Pump Switch hooked up to sound the alarm and operate your electric Bilge Pump at the same time.
As far as sleeping on a lake. IMG_0403.jpg We usually beach the bow and run lines from the bow and both stern cleats to stakes driven in the sand. Works well on large lakes like Powell & Mead where there is generally not much change in water level over night.

Attachments

• IMG_0402-1.jpg
    IMG_0402-1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

jobofly

Seaman

when you stay on it at the beach, how do you keep it from getting pushed into the shore?

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you stay on it at the beach, how do you keep it from getting pushed into the shore?
Since this is all new to you, perhaps you and your Wife should take a US Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary, Safe Boating Course.
When choosing a beach you must watch out for what lurkes below the surface. Rocks, Sunken Logs, etc. can seriously damage your Hull, Prop, and/or Outdrive. Can't recall a problem getting "pushed onto the shore".
To answer your question:
1) It's no fun having the boat bounce all night. Choose a beach in a cove where you cannot "See" the main body of water. Around a corner inside the cove, so that "Wind Waves & Waves from passing boats can't reach you. The same idea as a "Breakwater" at a Harbor entrance.
2) The beach is sloped & the sand below the water line is wet & firmer than dry sand on the surface. In order to move forward the boat would have to clime up the beach. Gravity & Friction keep it in place.
3) If you're still conserned, put out a stern anchor in addition to the lines on the beach.

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I told my wife I'm staying on the boat with or without you..........she loves it now..

I think the more time she spends on the boat the more comfortable she will become, you said this is your first boat and since it's the beginning of the season you probably haven't been able to spend much time on it, my wife and I spend as much time on our boat as possible, using it as a summer cottage, as long as you can provide some basic comforts I think she will enjoy it.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I had this issue a bit. In the end "sleep in here, in the truck or stay home" and "have another drink" solved all problems. Loves sleeping on the boat in the dock now.

Now I have to convince her the generator won't kill us out on the anchor at night...should have never told her what the CO sensors were for.

jobofly

Seaman

Thanks for the input. Today was her first trip on the boat and it went ok. My kids loved it but I think it will take a couple of more tris for my wife to like it

agallant80

Commander

I had this issue a bit. In the end "sleep in here, in the truck or stay home" and "have another drink" solved all problems. Loves sleeping on the boat in the dock now.

Now I have to convince her the generator won't kill us out on the anchor at night...should have never told her what the CO sensors were for.

I got a C0 detector at home depot. It has a digital read out that tells you the PPM. I think anything under 100 is fine, you may want to check that though. At any rate. I have two on the boat one is built in and the one I got at HD with the read out display has never moved from 0.0. I did put it infront of the generator exhust and it worked just none is getting in the cabin. Its great because I can move it up to the cockpit if we have the generator on.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Explain to her all about what it feels like to wake on on the lake in the morning as the sun rises and birds chirping and fish jumping.etc

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boating is a lifestyle some people travel the world others just local either you like it or not and eventually most sell the moneypit or love boating for life some say its just to much work.