58 v4 super sea horse wont start

I recently picked up a 1958 Johnson 50hp super sea horse but I'm having trouble gettin it started. It started a couple times and ran smooth for bout 30-45 seconds before dying and blowing a lot of fuel mix out the exhaust. I have read that the fuel floats may be shot due to being made outta cork, was wondering if anyone knows where to find new ones or can the old ones be fixed?

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 58 v4 super sea horse wont start

You can get new floats. It sounds like it could be getting flodded.

Anyone know where new floats could be found? Haven't had much luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you check the spark on it ?? Should jump a 1/4 " open air gap on a spark tester.

Spark is intermittent, sometimes good hot spark then nothing.. maybe bad magneto?

After reading other threads on this site i rechecked the spark after removing all four spark plugs to lessen Compression I found I have spark on all four. So maybe new starter or larger battery? On my flooding issue I read that modern fuel dissolves the coating on cork floats Wich causes failure. Is there a way to recoat them that won't dissolve or make the float to heavy?

nwcove

Admiral

After reading other threads on this site i rechecked the spark after removing all four spark plugs to lessen Compression I found I have spark on all four. So maybe new starter or larger battery? On my flooding issue I read that modern fuel dissolves the coating on cork floats Wich causes failure. Is there a way to recoat them that won't dissolve or make the float to heavy?

your local hobby shop will have a type of coating that many guys use. its used on model airplanes and such, which use alcohol/nitro based fuels.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it won't spark with the plugs in, how's it's supposed start ?? Check your battery and connections and ect.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those V4 magnetos will spark at an amazingly slow RPM if they are right.

aspeck

Staff member

68fisher wrote:
After reading other threads on this site I rechecked the spark with all four plugs removed to lessen compression and have consistent spark on all four. So now I'm thinking new starter or larger battery? On my fuel flooding issue I read that modern fuel eats away the coating on the cork floats and since I cannot find any replacements that are not cork how do I remedy this?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Make sure both sets of points are clean and gapped to .020". Make sure insulators on distributor wire stud are insulating output of coil from distributor body. Make sure wires under distributor pully are not touching any moving parts or they will short, killing the spark. Inspect the coil for cracks in the plastic exterior. Replace the condenser.

That motor is easily pull-started. Put her in a barrell, use some nice fresh 24::1 gas/oil mix, primer her up and close the choke, set throttle to about 1/2, and give her a pull She will kick right off, if she has good spark. The starter would need to turn very slowly not to start her, if she has good spark.

Carbs get dirty on that motor. Make sure you clean them well and set the low speed and high speed needles properly. You will need to adjust the high speed needles, while running the boat at WOT. Have fun with that.....

I was told the magneto needs at least 300 rpm to fire, and I swear this engine has more compression than my harley lol. I'm thinkin the battery I'm using doesn't have enough juice to crank it over fast enough. Hard to believe this thing has a pull start!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They actually sold some without electric start. That one doesn't have to be cranking at 300 rpm to start. I'll bet it will start at 100. But I admit they had a starter that wasn't the most powerful thing ever invented. However, it will do the job if in good condition and all the rest of the circuit is good. If you ever have to get a new starter, get one for a 75hp.

I've charged the battery, put in new plugs, mixed fresh premium alcohol free fuel and still no go. Last summer it would fire and run smooth for bout a minute before flooding out, now won't even fire. But still piles a buncha fuel out of the exhaust. Plug one is wet and the others are dry. I admit I'm new to working on outboard motors (two Strokes in general) but would love to accomplish this without dropping a bunch of coin on it. My local shop quoted me 400 bucks just to look at it, I only paid 250 for the whole boat and trailer. Really like this site so far gettin lotsa good info and advice.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

How far open do you have those high speed needles? One half turn, plus two clicks is normal. Have you figured out that you can disengage the pointer by lifting it straight up and pointing it forward? Then you can adjust and feel the clicks on the needles, individually.