Wet Sanding, Best Technique?

wildman

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to try and shine the Gelcoat up on my Tub and plan on trying to wet sand it.<br /><br />What is the best way to wet sand this and what grit? Can I damage the gelcoat by doing this?<br /><br />How exactly do you wet sand anyways? <br /><br />Thanks

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Wet Sanding, Best Technique?

well chief, im no expert but i used a bucket of H2O, a 3m sanding block and i started with 400 grit 3m wet sand paper and a sponge and would wipe a small area that i wanted to do, about a foot at a time, and then dip the whole sanding block in the bucket and then sand in a cirlce motion for a few secs about 10 secs or 15 secs and then do it again....... <br /><br />then do the same with 600 grit<br /><br />ive even heeard of dudes doing this with 1200 after the 600<br /><br />its up to you..<br /><br />just try a small spot and test it and finger it out<br /><br />mikey

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

(.)(.) !! LOL :p <br /> ) ( (<br />( ^ )

LubeDude

Admiral

First off, just how bad is the finish to start with??

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too cool Dodge.....too cool LOL :D <br />I wanted to add...Harbor Freight Tools has their 7" variable speed buffer marked down to $29.99 For limited use it would be OK...not great...but OK. <br /><br />@-@<br />JBR

voxmorgan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Typically when wet sanding to increase the looks of a paint job you want to use as fine of paper as possible. <br />By wet sanding you reduce the amount of friction, which leaves fewer deep scratches. Basically you sand off any corrosion and then buff out the scratches with rubbing compound and electric or pneumatic buffing wheel. If you use 400 you will make a ton of work for yourself. You would better of using a 1000 grit or finer. It may seem like a lot of extra sanding, but I guarantee that the end result will be a lot better. If the current finish is not all that bad you may want to think about using a clay bar. With the clay bar you wouldn’t have to wet sand at all just buy the buffing wheel that allows you to put the clay bar in the center of wheel and let the buffer do the work. They work great and are a lot less labor intensive. Attached is a example of what I am referring to.<br /> Clay bar buffing wheel

wildman

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm thats a bit to ponder... I havent done it in a long time but if I remember last time I did it it did to something I painted it did not seem like I was sanding at all... Wouldnt a heavy Rubbing compound do the same as all this stuff?

voxmorgan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Exactly with 1000 grit or finer it would hardly feel as if you were sanding. Heavy compound may do the trick for you. That is what I was trying to get at before when I said if the current finish it not all that bad try a clay bar. If you don't have to sand then don't. Try the compound or a clay bar.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I did mine with 600 and then 1000. Keep the water clean, and change the paper often. You can tell by the feel when you have sanded enough with the paper. Once sanded, then polish it out. I simply waxed mine after the 1000 grit wet sanding, and it turned out better than expected. It is mind numbing work, and if you can use an alternative means, go for it. First thing you should do is do a test area and see what it takes to get to what you want. Good luck....

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only time you need to water sand gelcoat is after a fresh application. Then you need to smooth the orange peel down for buffing. Oxidized gelcoat will buff out easily without wet sanding if the correct compound is used...but I can't share the knowledge here.<br />@-@<br /> JBR