Steel Pontoons - repair suggestions

robershaw

Cadet
Hi all, I realize this subject has been touched on a few times before but I was wondering if anybody has any updates to previous repairs or other suggestions. I have a 44 foot 1990 Boatel houseboat in the CA Delta. When I bought this houseboat six years ago we had the pontoons sandblasted and coated with a 2-part epoxy mixture of Tar Coat. The boat has been pulled in the past but we never retested the pontoons as there didn't seem to be a problem. However, this year we pulled the boat and noticed some leakage and decided to test all the chambers in the two pontoons. Each pontoon has 7 chambers so altogether there are 14 chambers. We discovered that 8 of the chambers have some sort of leakage. One chamber has a small hole about the diameter of an ice pick, another chamber has a rusty corner about 14 inches long where the bottom of the side of the pontoon meets the bottom of the pontoon. In addition, I can see lots of mini rust spots (specks for lack of a better word). The Tar Coat has peeled away where most of the leakage occurred but all in all the Tar Coat is still covering 90% of the pontoons so I can't really tell if there are additional problems. Essentially I have identified 8 different zones that need repair.

Is spot welding these 8 areas the most recommended treatment? I realize that I could sandblast the entire pontoons again but I don't just want to throw away money for an overkill solution. My thoughts are to have the 8 main areas sanded and welded. I'm not sure what to do about all the specs though. It seems most of these specs have found their way through the Tar Coat but given that each spec is about the size of a pin head it almost seems as thought they could be washed off with some sort of cleaning product to expose a small portion of steel and then I could re-roll all of the pontoons with another application of Tar Coat. And then comes the discussion of the inside of the pontoons. I hear some oil or antifreeze might help inside. I hear most people don't like the idea of filling with foam. Is there a product on the market made to dump inside the pontoons to slow the corrosion? What about a tar coat for inside the pontoons? Any suggestions or discussions would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steel Pontoons - repair suggestions

Not sure why you posted this in the Volvo engine forum, but I'm going to move it over to the Pontoon forum.

arntarchie

Seaman Apprentice

your logs are rotting from the inside out. at this point all you can do is cut out the bad steel and weld in new then you will need to coat the inside with something but to do that you must have an access port of some kind in each cell, not an easy fix.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Fill them with foam or replace with aluminum.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You're in a lose-lose situation. They're right about the rust probably coming from the inside out, and it's a common problem with steel hulls. Your boat at one time could have been left in salt water or brackish water. The big problem is that the hull's been covered in a non-paint product that's just too difficult to remove for diagnosis.

You've probably got two choices: Scrap the boat or have custom aluminum toons made for your boat. I wouldn't trust that job to anyone but u-fabboats.com. They make toons as large as 60" in diameter and 60' long. The deal is figuring how much your boat weighs and how much weight it carries.

If there is a single chamber on your boat leaking, it cannot be put in the water.

robershaw

Cadet

The houseboat is at a facility where other houseboats with steel pontoons are being rented. The repair facility said they do repairs like this quite often and suggested that we weld all the repairs and retest the pontoons for leakage until each is holding. Then recoat with Tar Coat. Luckily my yeararound slip is very close to the facility so I will be able to constantly retest each of the pontoons for future problems. I realize that replacing the pontoons is the best way but all of the repairs, retest and tar coating is only going to cost $580 so I figure I'll go that route for now.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

While I haven't had any experience with steel pontoons I used to do a lot of welding on steel and once it gets thin it is very very hard to weld let alone make it water tight, I would get that as a firm price before they set in on it.

robershaw

Cadet

Okay, thanks. I must admit that I'm a bit nervous. However, with 8 pontoons leaking previously without any listing (sp?) whatsoever I feel pretty confident that any repairs will make it better. I'll keep an eye on it and consider putting new pontoons on in a couple years if needed.