Hole in storge well

Westie42

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a 1990 Wellcraft I recently purchased and am finding out the hard way was miss treated badly by it's previous owner. One of my other threads on my engine and outdrive project was extremely helpful so I though I would pop over to this one to discuss an issue I found with the floor I found. The boat sat for two years winterized with sink wrap covering it was not cleaned and dried out prior so you can imagine the mold issue we had when we opened her up. After spending days cleaning it we gave up and decided to pull the carpet because it was so moldy. Under the carpet I was super pleased to see that the would and fiber glass are in perfect shape. However the storage well in the middle of the boat has a nice sized hole in it. Is this something I can repair or is it really bad news? is it possible to just repair it? Even if it is just a temporary thing as I may only keep this boat a few years.

Also I have decide to go with marine floor paint instead of carpet, I laid the primer last night. I purchased it from bass pro shops it worked very well. Not sure which type of paint to use however I am finding a ton of different opinions out there and am wondering what you guys think.

I will take some pictures of the boat and the hole in the floor and post them tonight.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hole in storge well

Are there any other areas on the floor that are Bad? Soft Spots? Anything? What size is the boat? Storage area? Are you speaking about the Ski Locker? Is the hole in the bottom? Pics will help us to help you.

pictures are needed as a hole can be anything from a rotten hole to a hole that was cut for a reason

Westie42

Cadet

Yes I agree I need to post some pictures for you which I intend to do tonight. The boat is a 16 and a half foot Wellcraft. The rest of the boat in rock solid all wood and fiberglass look perfectly fine. No signs of mold, rot, or soft spots. Yes the ski locker is where the hole is, it is in the bottom of it and looks rotted out to me. The hole is fairly big and the area is really soft, seems there is a lot of moisture in there. I am wondering if there is a good way to dry it all out before attempting any repairs that may be suggested. I will have to get some pictures up so everyone can take a look.

Westie42

Cadet

hole.jpg

Here is a picture of the hole it is in the ski locker. The rest of the boat is dry and not rotted.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ski Lockers are notorius for holding water and rotting out. Here's the problem, IF the PO has allow this to let water get below deck for an extended period of time, it could have compromised the stringers and bulkheads. Not saying it has, just that it could have. She's 23 years old and if she has not been kept out of the weather and maintained well then there could be issues. If you cannot find ANY other soft spots in the deck then I would prolly just glass over this hole and run the boat. Is this an I/O or and Outboard? What other inspections have you done that makes you certain when you say..."The rest of the boat is dry and not rotted."

Westie42

Cadet

Woodonglass thank you for the response, When we realized how moldy everything was we decided to pull the carpet up and inspect the boards underneath it looks great all the way though the boat. No wet spots, soft spots, mold, or any signs of deterioration. I have a few pictures that show the rest of the boat they are not that great but I will put em up.deck 2.JPGDeck.JPG

It is an I/O mercruiser engine and outdrive. Sorry forgot to post that info

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you thought about doing core samples on the motor mounts and down low on the transom?? IMHO it's always a good thing to KNOW that the "Bones" of the boat are Sound before you put her back together.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've always wondered why put a false floor in a ski locker? Why can the hull not be the bottom of the ski locker unless its a very deep v?