adding hatch to casting deck

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
any suggestions on a hatch that will hold up to me walking on it? i want to put a hatch on the top side of my casting deck. the original hatch opening is small and i don't feel as though i am using all the available storage space under the deck. <br />also...i noticed that some c/c have two small storage areas with seats on them next to the deck on either side of the floor. can i purchase these aor do i need to fab them with fiberglass?<br /><br />thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: adding hatch to casting deck

You can buy the hatches allready made. You can buy just the hatch, or a boxed-in assembly. There are so many places that make them, I'm sure you can get any size/ shape, if you shop-around enough. And I know what you mean about inefficiant usage of space. My project boat has 13" of space currently covered-over topside, with two boxed-in floation chambers underneath. Needless to say, they are getting ripped-out, once I get back there.<br /><br />But be carefull with where you place them, as you do not want defeat structural elements of the design. A boat hull will (and must) flex underway. But you don't want to change this by making it flex too easily, or too stiffly.<br />And therein, lies the rub. Few of us backyard boat builders are structural engineers. So what I do is ask myself what a hole would do to the strength, before I make it. Then, I get a second opinion from the guys I werk with, and a third from the group here. This place is digi-gold! I'll even bet there are a couple structural engineers, with project boats in thier garages. :cool:

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: adding hatch to casting deck

12Footer,<br />I'm an IT engineer. Does that count?