Suntracker Pontoon Leak

TangerineTripod

Recruit
I posted on the pontoon thread also.

Are there internal baffles in a 18 Suntracker pontoon?

I have both plugs out and cannot find the water I can hear sloshing around. I have tilted boat 20 degrees and still no water coming out. I am using an adapted wet/dry vac and it sucks water out a pail no problem.

Thanks

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suntracker Pontoon Leak

I would think that there would not be any baffles inside a pontoon...but i could be wrong. Baffles are designed to keep water from sloshing around inside a tank designed to carry liquid....laymen terms.

i don't see why a pontoon builder would install them in a pontoon designed to hold air...extra effort and cost.

Maybe there is an additional compartment that you are not seeing?

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IF there are baffles, they are there to prevent a tube from completely filling up in case of a breach (only the compartment damged can fill with water. I agree there may be another baffle - nose cone? Can you see any cracks - usually at a welded bracket.

Todd

The Rooster

Ensign

Find a way to put a little pressure, 5-10 psi only, in each plug opening. Using a spray bottle w/ soapy water along the bracket welds first, you should be able to hear & see air hissing/bubbling around the leak. Be careful, MINIMUM air pressure only. Good luck !!!

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You didn't mention the year, so I'll assume a modern boat. There are no baffles, but the logs are chambered. If you look at your 18' pontoon log, you see that the log is made of two sections, plus the nose cone. This is so that if one section leaks, it will not flood the entire 18' log and sink the boat. If the water is in one section, you won't be able to pull it out from another, since they are separated. If this is a modern pontoon, know that Tracker has a 5 year warranty on the logs, and a lifetime warranty on the pontoon welds. Limited warranties, of course.