Installing external GPS questions

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Got a humminbird fish finder and was wondering how to install the GPS. I know hot to hook up all of the wiring etc...but what's the best way to install it. It comes in two parts, a top half, which looks like it can be installed right to some wood, and a bottom half that looks like it screws onto some pvc pipe or something. So does putting the transmitter on a post make that much of a difference? I'd rather screw it right to the deck next to the trolling motor mount and not have to take a post on and off or put it up and down. It's only a 12ft boat, so I'm tring to keep rails and space as clear as possible.

thoughts?

jhebert

Ensign
Re: Installing external GPS questions

...wondering how to install the GPS....does putting the transmitter on a post make ...much ...difference?

The component you are describing is not a transmitter. It is a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver needs a clear view of the sky. The location should be selected so the GPS receiver will not be obstructed by any objects, including humans, and will have, as much as possible, a clear view of the sky from overhead to the horizon.

Thalasso

Commander

What type of boat are you installing this on? (radar arch) The receiver can be mounted on the dash with Velcro if need be. It will work through glass if you have a windshield. A pic of what you have (GPS) will help. I think what you have is a receiver and a alternative type of mount.Is this the model AS GR16? The one piece is for mounting on a pole

UncleWillie

Captain

Put it almost anywhere you wish.

The one on the dash of your car is behind glass, and under the metal of the roof.
It sees the satellites behind you.
You can usually get a usable signal inside of a house through the roof and at least one ceiling.

On a 12 ft boat, you will have a hard time trying to find someplace that would NOT work! :)

Inside of the engine cover would not be recommended! :facepalm: