oil leak

sailorbee

Recruit
hi just unwrapped my boat and the engine has oil leaking ..not much.. where the leg connects above the fill hole for the lower unit. oil appears heavy.not light like fuel-oil mixture . took the engine cover off and the base around the engine is clean and dry. don't think the oil is from the lower unit because the leak is just above the oil fill plug. motor was stored in the down position all winter. any ideas where this black..sort of heavy oil came from ? thank you

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil leak

hi just unwrapped my boat and the engine has oil leaking ..not much.. where the leg connects above the fill hole for the lower unit. oil appears heavy.not light like fuel-oil mixture . took the engine cover off and the base around the engine is clean and dry. don't think the oil is from the lower unit because the leak is just above the oil fill plug. motor was stored in the down position all winter. any ideas where this black..sort of heavy oil came from ? thank you

Any chance you can give us some idea which motor you have and maybe a picture of the leak?

sailorbee

Recruit

motor is a 150 hp Johnson seapro oil is showing just above the lower unit fill plug where the leg connects and the oil has no smell to it. oil is very black. thank you

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Possibly just seeped between LU and mid section from storing in down position.
It builds up there from being in that position and a bit from the extra oil thats built up there can seep through
Hope it didnt stain your driveway like my cars oil drip does