new pics on website

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: new pics on website

Hi TenE307,<br />I read this Project Boats and Backyard Boat Building forum sometimes and I'm very impressed with the effort (and time, but hopefully not to much money...) that goes into the rebuild of the boats. <br />Where do You get all the energy from? When I see the pictures of the rotten decks... well must be tempting to just drive to the junkjard with the boat then...? But the boats seems to get new plywood decks, transoms etc and be usable for many more years.<br />(I have a fiberglass deck in my boat, but then it is a new boat, 2003, and hopefully it will not root.)<br /><br />Anyway, it is great to be able to read about and look at pictures of various boatrestorations, like Your boat TenE307.<br /><br />Hope the sanding and painting/gelcoat will be fine.<br /><br />Do You plan to use it on the water again this year?<br /><br />/Bo

TenE307

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have been using it for some winter exercise.<br />i am single and 29, and i have more time and evergy than money right now. plus i have always wondered how boats were built. got my first one last year from gramps a 14' aluminum with 58 seahorse 18. i tore into it all. and got the sickness. then the small aluminum was not big enough for some bigger lakes around here. and i tasted fried walleye for the first time last year. i have cought trout my whole life and will do any style of fishing to catch it. adding a boat just adds to my options.<br />so far the cost of the project has been.<br />boat motor trailer- 1000<br />motor maint and jimmy rig merc switch- 300<br />wood- 300 (6 1/2" 4x8 marine ab)<br />epoxy/fiber - 700<br />extras - 200<br />carpet and seats- (next year)i plan on doing that also. with removable carpet.<br /><br />so it will be structurally brand new for 2500+-<br />and most boats ive seen like this well kept go for 5-6000.<br />i plan on never selling this boat though it just justifies my work for me.<br />i bought this boat because after lots of searching i think it fits what i want which is big enough to go on lakes around here ( and i can snowboard on the water in the summer)and small enough i can get my next project which would be a small trailer to go between my boat and my yukon.<br /><br />if you dont know about it, the best way to know is get into it and learn some knowledge that can last you a lifetime.<br /><br />i couldnt do it without this website and all the help from this forum.<br />thanks iboats.<br /><br />XE (Ten-E)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Nice site, and nice job so far,Ten.
emthup.gif
<br />Bo, There are guys who cann afford whatever they wanted. And yet, there's a '64Tbird frame in thier garage in mid restoration.<br />So it's not just the cabbage. Although, this did inspire many of the rebuilders you'll find in here.<br />In my case, the Cobra bass rig had extensive hidden damage, that I had not counted-on. But it has become a matter of pride. Everything I go into to repair, This POS boat tells me "OK, wiseguy..Here's another step you must take first". I'm determined not to let the boat win this fight. And from the pics TenE307 has posted, "he is in the same boat".<br />The Cobra isn't my vfirst restore job. But will likely be my last (I'm getting too long in the tooth for some of the werk).<br /><br />If I had the green tho, I'd probably have some it done for me---the things I hate, like fiberglass layup and sanding. That stuff itches so! And floatation removal...I'd rather spend a mid-summer's day ripping-up old roofing -- No fun at all. but the feeling of accomplishment are beyond salary, provided, you are doing this to your own boat. I don't believe I'd last an 8-hour shift doing this stuff for a living again.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its comin' along. Not too long from now you'll be out on the water glad its done. I was out fishin' today, and didn't once think about the suffering of my rebuild.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> I was out fishin' today, and didn't once think about the suffering of my rebuild.
That must be like having a baby JasonJ. They say if women remembered the pain of childbirth, they'd never have more than one. :D <br /><br />I've just gotten started on mine but I'm already gettin sore from just climbing in and out of the boat.