Mariner 9.9 Tiller Throttle Cable Issue

marko77

Recruit
My throttle/gear shift in my tiller handle somehow shifted so that it was stuck in forward and I could only give it more throttle. Now the cable will not go on the tiller side and motor side. Somehow cannot get it to neutral. Anyone seen this and have solutions?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner 9.9 Tiller Throttle Cable Issue

Pull off the cowl and check the pulley where all the functions come together.

marko77

Recruit

Pull off the cowl and check the pulley where all the functions come together.

I have already done so and when I try to line up the cables so that the pulley on the motor side is in neutral the handle tiller is clocked to the forward gear. If the tiller handle is in neutral then the cable ends on the pulley are of unequal lengths and not in the neutral position. I replaced the cables about 6 months ago and worked fine for several months until it somehow slipped when the engine was revving due to using starter fluid possibly caused by slipping of the tiller control plastic piece at the end of the handle. However the plastic piece appears to well pressed on and will not move. Anyone else had this problem? I have seen comments that tiller throttles are unreliable and are not made anymore. Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The grip on the handle can spin and then the markings won't line up, but it doesn't normally cause a problem. Sounds like you need to pull the tiller handle apart and see what slipped or broke.

marko77

Recruit

Thanks so much for your reply but I have already pulled the handle apart and cannot see what has slipped or broke. The plastic piece on the end near the cable wheel at the base of the tiller seems to be firmly fixed and in trying to rotate it with vise grips only chewed the key up a little but it would not rotate. The grip on the handle end is keyed in to the shaft and I did not attempt to take it apart because it is also firmly on there. I am baffled because I cannot see where it could have slipped or broke.