Need everyones thoughts on my "rear bench" project

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
I bought this boat a few months ago. Will mainly be a fishing boat. It didnt have a livewell, so I'm going with a cooler setup. I wanted to make it nicer looking and more functional, so I thought I would build a bench seat to go over it.

I think it turned out great. But it ended being bigger than expected.
I now have 2 problems
1) I cant lift the top to get at the cooler unless I pull it forward a couple inches so theres wasted space and a big gap.
2) Its not really all that function. I was hoping I could use it for another seating area, but it would only be good while anchored. Which isnt such a big deal I suppose.

I can also remove it whenever is needed, and tip it forward to get at battery/fuel tanks

SO, what would you guys do? Should I reverse hinge it? but that might be a pain for putting fish in.
Should I scrap the whole thing and make a new bench and use that as a back rest?
Or just leave it.

It would probably help a decision factor if I get out there and use it.
2013-05-05%2018.42.24.jpg

2013-05-05%2018.42.47.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Need everyones thoughts on my "rear bench" project

Hinging the seat forward isn't going to work well as you won't be able to reach the bottom, easily. Are you storing anything in it, besides the cooler/livewell?

It does look to take up a bunch or room, how about making a cooler cushion for the top of the cooler and ditch the enclosure. You would probably need to hinge it forward, but it wouldn't be as much of a concern since you'd be able to stand on the side of it.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

thats a good point about reaching in there if I hinged it forward.

I'll probably put something in there, but nothing important. its 20" deep. so not really any different than having a seat back there. just looks like it.

I wonder if I can rig up something like a drawer slide. so it comes forward a few inches then can hinge it up....

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well.... Here's my idea for you.

SeatIdea.jpg

Here's a hinge that might work well for you:

Offset Piano Type Hinge for Boat Seats - Wise Boat Seats WD12 - iboats

Or something similar of the offset hinge variety. This way you could screw the hinge to the bottom of your nicely upholstered seat bottom and the seat would swing slightly farther away from a seat back if you make one. If you make the board behind the seat base thicker, such as 2x lumber and find an appropriate offset hinge you could gain even more clearance from the seat back when open. Get creative and research different hinge types and maybe you find a different way you like even better.

Best of luck to ya on your project. Its a nice idea and looks good so far. :clap2:

oldjeep

Admiral

My .02

I'd set it up so that there is a notch that holds the seat in the back and then a couple of straps with snaps in the front. Then you can just undo the snaps, slide the seat forward and remove it completely.

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 0

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the input guys!!! I'll see what happens with these hinges I have coming. if not, I'll be going after your ideas.

yeah its bigger than I thought, but it'll be a nice lounge seat where I can put a pole in the water and lay down. haha. Maybe I'll cover a nice cushion for my head with the leftover vinyl. lol

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I made one like that years ago as a sun pad for the girls to lay out on and moved it forward enough to hinge at the back and took a matching vinyl and made a piece to cover the back gap area that you show, If i remember it was a 2 x 4 covered with a matching vinyl then the hinge with gas struts inside to hold it up when open. Don't have any pictures the boat was sold 20 years ago.