transome plate spring

irise

Recruit
I recently installed a new gm 350 marine motor in my 86 Sea Ray and i installed the spring between the coupler plate and the spacer. I have the fiber washer but not the spring between the transom plate and coupler plate , how important is that spring if it isn't in there

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: transome plate spring

you could have not installed the drive with being that far out of alignment

irise

Recruit

no i installed the motor yesterday and realized what i did, and hoping that i didn't have to move the motor again but if it's not right then i guess i have to.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I recently installed a new gm 350 marine motor in my 86 Sea Ray and i installed the spring between the coupler plate and the spacer. I have the fiber washer but not the spring between the transom plate and coupler plate , how important is that spring if it isn't in there

you are referring to the rear motor mounts??

the new style rear motor mounts do not use a double wound lock washer (spring) - there should have been two spacers included if the mounts are new style

sometimes the spacers are used, sometimes not - trail and error on that one

irise

Recruit

new motor but old hardware just wasnt sure how important there are. i know its way out of alignment because of the space difference but im under the impression that function wise it should be alright

dubs283

Vice Admiral

new motor but old hardware

do you mean new longblock, old dressings?? did you use the old/original flywheel cover from the original engine on a new longblock??

irise

Recruit

yes new long block old dressings old flywheel cover ect.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yes new long block old dressings old flywheel cover ect.

you need the double wound washers

they sit inside the inside diameter of the fiber washers

if you neglected to install one or both you need to raise the engine high enough to get them in there