oceanrunner help wits end

meatyb

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1998 175 johnson oceanrunner. heres the problem, goes into forward fine but when i go to reverse i hear grinding and it will not engage at all. but.. and heres the part that confuses me. if i run out to the inlet or anywhere really for maybe 10-15 mins it will engage in reverse perfectly fine.almost seems that the lower unit needs to warm up? whats that about? but if i rev it up to much the motor starts acting almost like i am kicking up mud ( violently shaking and bucking) i'm lost as to whats wrong.

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oceanrunner help wits end

Sticky clutches. You possibly got water in the lower unit either now or at some point in its life. Water means rust and your clutches are sticking until you get oil moving around and they break loose. Drain and check your oil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Is your shift cable adjusted properly? Do you have a good brand of marine gear oil (SAE 80-90)?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the lower unit oil lately for any water in it ??

daselbee

Commander

Sticky clutches. You possibly got water in the lower unit either now or at some point in its life. Water means rust and your clutches are sticking until you get oil moving around and they break loose. Drain and check your oil.

I need to understand this a bit more.......can you explain?

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put two pieces of bare metal together flat or cylindrical and add water and let sit. They will soon become bonded. Not permanently but enough to almost need a screwdriver driven between them to separate. The lower unit is nothing but stacked moving metal parts that fit snugly together. Once the parts start moving and oil is slung around like applying wd40 to a rusty bolt things will eventually free up.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

meatyb, I had a similar problem in March with my '98 J150.
I dropped the LU to replace the water pump housing and impeller, upon inspection I discovered the shift rod was very hard to maneuver between gears without a significant amount of pulling or pushing. The actual rod was coated with some gunk at the shift rod housing where it enters the LU, so I went ahead and replaced the shift rod housing gasket and O-rings(2) then cleaned up the housing and rod. The rod became very easy to move between gears and after a height adjustment I reinstalled the LU and I was able to get some reverse. I then made an adjustment to the shift cable and two additional turns on the shift rod(without removing the LU again) and it is back to normal.
Hope this helps,
OutOfControl

meatyb

Seaman Apprentice

It's already in slip. But I may pull it and drop lower unit. Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I did adjust cable and its a ill better. Time will tell thanks.