88 4.3 cobra no shift interrupt

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
i have this boat w. very low usage & very original everything.
original cap.rotor, wires, fuel filter. so i know that nothing has been done to it, is what I am getting at.
I have read posts about updated ase modules, etc, i believe this has none.
the shift microswitch( long arm) does not seem to work, i press it & the engine stays running smooth. the other switch does nothing either but from what i have read, this is the cancel out for the interrupt.
i try shifting the lower cable & it is smooth but stiff. is this correct or should I be able to slide this cable back & forth w/ease?
I just had the engine out to repair a water leak & fear I did not route the shift sleeve in its correct path/manner
& may have kinked the shift cable.
I never had any issue w/shifting prior. so I know it is something I did.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 4.3 cobra no shift interrupt

i have this boat w. very low usage & very original everything.
original cap.rotor, wires, fuel filter. so i know that nothing has been done to it, is what I am getting at.
I have read posts about updated ase modules, etc, i believe this has none.
the shift microswitch( long arm) does not seem to work, i press it & the engine stays running smooth. the other switch does nothing either but from what i have read, this is the cancel out for the interrupt.
i try shifting the lower cable & it is smooth but stiff. is this correct or should I be able to slide this cable back & forth w/ease?
I just had the engine out to repair a water leak & fear I did not route the shift sleeve in its correct path/manner
& may have kinked the shift cable.
I never had any issue w/shifting prior. so I know it is something I did.

Howdy,

The shift-plate should not move very much when going into gear.

It SHOULD however, move enough to actuate the ESA switches when coming OUT OF gear.
(only when you're in the water) you will not (or SHOULD NOT) get very much shift-plate movement when on the trailer on "muffs" etc.

If you do, the lower shift cable is defective, and/or the drive shift mechinism is binding, needs lube, etc.

The ESA not working is a separate issue. It's either failed, the switch(s) are defective or there's a wiring problem etc.

If you do not have an OEM service manual and you want to do the fix'n yourself, you need one. Also, have a look at OMC Cobra Sterndrive Tech Info

Regards,

Rick