omc 4.3 fuel pump rod nightmare

mook313

Recruit
Help!!! I recently purchased a 1989 Renken 200 with a OMC 4.3 2bl carb and cobra drive for the low low price. previous owner stated everything is good but it needs fuel pump and carb rebuilt and he gave me a new off brand fuel pump may be a Carter but there is no numbers on it but D05...bought it fast got home and rebuilt carb and new fuel lines, pumped tank out. Got to the fuel pump and started to adjust the rod to fit the pump and the problems began... Fuel pump rod on this 4.3 does NOT go vertically but side to side and it was broke in half, got the rod out and went to summit and bought a new rod for a 1989 4.3 engine. Got home and the rod protrudes out the fuel pump housing so its to long. Rod length measures 5.75 inches. Did some research and found the OMC rod is 5.065 inches long and the only place I found it was on ebay and the guy wanted 52 bucks for an obsolete $10 part. bought it installed it but even with the rod in as far as it will go, still there is no way the fuel pump can fit without breaking. So I turned my attention to the fuel pump. went to napa and they gave me the same pump I already had. what the ^%&$ am I doing wrong???

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc 4.3 fuel pump rod nightmare

did you try spinning the engine? it may be on the compression stroke, meaning the cam lobe mya be hitting the rod on the high point so the fuel pump would me depressed.

skline01

Cadet

I recently had fuel pump issues, Block off plate for fuel pump mounting and I went with electric fuel pump. cheaper and performs much better then manual pump.. good luck

mook313

Recruit

I recently had fuel pump issues, Block off plate for fuel pump mounting and I went with electric fuel pump. cheaper and performs much better then manual pump.. good luck

skline did you go with a carter universal model or some other??? Also did you use a replacement oil pressure switch or the one already on engine???

skline01

Cadet

I went to the parts store and got an small inline pump. doesn't take much. I used the same oil sender that was there. It worked real slick.

skline01

Cadet

The fuel pump I used was a precision brand from O reilly auto parts. part # e16049.

mook313

Recruit

The fuel pump I used was a precision brand from O reilly auto parts. part # e16049.

I went to Oriley's over the weekend and bought the pump E16049 $44 :D but I can't find the oil pressure switch I see the sending unit that looks like a bell but no switch. Would I need a relay also????

Much gratitude

skline01

Cadet

if your not worried about the engine shutting off if oil pressure goes low then don't stress. I am not using a relay and have had no problems. The pump really pulls very small amps. Just runs like a top.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

You gentlemen realize you're literally playing with fire if your not using a MARINE rated fuel pump, AND if the pump isn't wired in such a way that it kicks off when the engine isn't running (oil pressure switch), right?