1983 Mercruiser 470 Alternator Conversion

richbis

Cadet
OK guys, I bought and installed the alternator conversion from breezeworks and it did go in easily. Now I have to build an engine cover because the old one won't fit over the new alternator setup. In retrospect, a lot of you rip mercruiser for this water cooled regulator and stator design; as best as I can tell since I've had the boat for 3 years now, but it appears this design lasted 30 years, I sure don't expect the new alternator to last that long. It appears that the regulator and alternator went out on my boat since the wires from the alternator read 22 vac and 44 vac which I consider the bad one, and the regulator read open until it finally smoked because I didn't disconnect the input to it even though I new it wasn't working and just made sure my batteries were charged before going out. Boat ran fine on just batteries and I never did have to switch over to my second battery while going out fishing. Granted I didn't go out too far but did run it into the night with nav lights and anchor light used and of course fish finder. The plan suggested by one of my co-workers was to use one battery until it couldn't start the boat anymore and then use the second one to get back to dock. It was a good idea that worked for a couple weeks while I waited for the new alternator to come in. The old style regulator and stator would have cost me about $700, the new one was about $318 w/ shipping; and of course now the expense and time to build a new doghouse. I wan't planning on using those rear seats anyway, and it's a good thing because the one on the new alternator side would never fit back in again anyway. I could use the other side for the seat if I wanted to. This is just a fishing boat, so it doesn't make that much of a difference to me. By the way, it's a 1983, 17' Larson open bow. I've had to replace the shift cable, and it cost me $650 to have the outdrive serviced and repaired. The boat cost me $2000, 3 years ago and I bought it in San Jose, CA from the owner. I still think it was a good deal. It's caught it's fair share of sturgeon, stripers, black bass and crappie in the delta; and crabs from the ocean side of the golden gate bridge this year.
I've read a little bit about building a doghouse and got some ideas that were better than my original plan, but I'm still planning on doing it my way, which changes still by the minute. I give feedback probably when it's completed. It may be a bit heavier than some would like because I plan on only using wood, not fiberglass. We'll see what the final product ends up weighing. Your guess is as good as mine right now as to how it's going to look, hopefully OK. Never built one before, but there's a lot of things I did for a first time and some of them came out OK.