eska motor need help to adjust lever to engage prop

radlersadler

Cadet
I have I believe 1970 7 HP eska motor with a Briggs Stratton motor the lever for neutral and drive is out of adjustment wandering if anyone can tell me how to adjust it so it will go into drive I can crank it and when I put it in drive. Prop don't spin and I can turn it by hand so its not locked up any help would be much appreciated

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: eska motor need help to adjust lever to engage prop

I never heard of a Briggs motor on an Eska leg, it's likely a two stroke Tecumseh engine. Post a model number. Look about halfway down the leg on the port side, and if there's a little oval plate held in by two screws, there's a linkage adjustment under it. Loosen the adjustment bolt with th e lower unit in neutral, set the lever in neutral position, tighten adjustment bolt, and see if it outs the lower in gear.

radlersadler

Cadet

I never heard of a Briggs motor on an Eska leg, it's likely a two stroke Tecumseh engine. Post a model number. Look about halfway down the leg on the port side, and if there's a little oval plate held in by two screws, there's a linkage adjustment under it. Loosen the adjustment bolt with th e lower unit in neutral, set the lever in neutral position, tighten adjustment bolt, and see if it outs the lower in gear.

Model number is 217-85831. Serial number is 102595
There is no plate I put a water pump on it and removed lower unit from power head had a lot carbon so I cleaned everything and put it back together and now I have no drive if I have to take it back apart I don't know how the rod is supposed to to sit

radlersadler

Cadet

OK I got it running neutral and drive working good. But the lean and rich knob don't seem to be doing anything when u turn it either way and don't have the power it should when in drive can anyone help please

radlersadler

Cadet

Where does that screw on bottom of carb supposed to be set at and I'm still havin that issue with half throttle is the best rpms any less and wide open bogs down real bad

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Start with that bottom screw at about 1 1/4 turn out, see what happens.

radlersadler

Cadet

Could that be my problem with not being able to get full rpms

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

The bottom bowl screw starts at 1 1/2 turns out, the side idle adjustment starts at 1 turn out. Fire the motor in the water, and pick up the RPM, then start turning the bottom screw in till it starts to run crappy, then back it out till it starts to run crappy, and set it between those two points. Drop the RPM to idle and adjust the side screw till it idles. Once your in the water under a load, do it all again. There's lots of possible reasons it doesn't wind all the way up - let's start with the easy ones.

radlersadler

Cadet

Thanks for that info. U were mentioning the side screw r u referring to the lean rich adjustment

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

There are two screws to adjust lean/rich - The bowl screw is for high speed adjustments, the side screw is for idle mixture lean/rich.

radlersadler

Cadet

OK I took boat out on lake it would idle for a min then die so I used trolling motor the whole time and on way back to dock I tried motor again and got it to run I had it full throttle and it ran a hair faster than trolling motor bogging real bad and as soon as u try to idle it down enough to put it in neutral it dies anyone know what is causing this. I've got side screw 1 1/4 out and bowl screw Prolly around 2 turns out thanks

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

While it's running, try turning the bowl screw in, and see if it lights up and starts running better. If it does, turn it in till it starts running lousy again, then back out to the mid point between too far out and too far in. then with it idling, do the same with the side screw.

radlersadler

Cadet

While it's running, try turning the bowl screw in, and see if it lights up and starts running better. If it does, turn it in till it starts running lousy again, then back out to the mid point between too far out and too far in. then with it idling, do the same with the side screw.

Thanks for all the help I just so happened to do that before I read your post running good in a barrel now so I'll take it back to the lake in a day or so. So I'll know then for sure once again thanks for all the assistance

radlersadler

Cadet

OK the motor ran good at the lake this afternoon but I've been using the tank on the motor well this afternoon I bought the adapter to use an external gas tank and motor will only run when I prime it then dies what do I need to do to make an external gas tank work. And I had the vent open on the external tank and had the shut off valve closed goin to tank on motor appreciate any input thanks

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

If the on board tank line has a shutoff, make sure it's closed. You don't want the fuel pump element trying to pull fuel from both tanks - The onboard tank is vented, too, and any air that gets in the line ain't fuel.

radlersadler

Cadet

If the on board tank line has a shutoff, make sure it's closed. You don't want the fuel pump element trying to pull fuel from both tanks - The onboard tank is vented, too, and any air that gets in the line ain't fuel.

I had the shutoff off and vent closed on motor tank had vent open on aux tank I thought that motor fed fuel( gravity fed) so your saying that it dont need a fuel pump to feed fuel supposed to be like vacuum fed am I correct