chrysler 318 to 360 swap

mikesub

Recruit
I have a 1977 trojan 26ft .If I swap out the 318 and put in a 360 would I get better fuel eco. My theory is the bigger engine having more power I could run a bigger prop. So I could get the same speed at a lower rpm. Is there any thoughts out there on this one or am I in left field.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: chrysler 318 to 360 swap

I have a 1977 trojan 26ft .If I swap out the 318 and put in a 360 would I get better fuel eco. My theory is the bigger engine having more power I could run a bigger prop. So I could get the same speed at a lower rpm. Is there any thoughts out there on this one or am I in left field.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Well aside from wondering if the 360 will bolt right up where a 318 is located, it won't make much difference at all!

It takes the same amount of torque and engine RPM to turn the prop at a particular RPM. Assuming both engines are in good repair and have similar compression, timing etc, they'll BOTH need approx the same fuel flow to do the same work.

The advantage of the 360 (due to MORE cu-inches) will be seen in a slightly better hole-shot and maybe a slightly better top end speed.

Now, if you take advantage of that better hole shot and higher speed, you'll burn more fuel when you do it.

If you run the same speeds and acceleration as before (if you can!) then you won't see a large difference in fuel burn.....

Cheers,

Rick