My boat shuts off after i start it up and release the ignition key.

Mrsinbad

Cadet
I installed a new ignition switch because my old one wouldnt spring back to run position it would stay in start so the starter would keep running also! I installed a new solenoid with no change. Frustrated! 97 chaparral v6 4.3 liter murcruiser

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My boat shuts off after i start it up and release the ignition key.

Welcome aboard. This is posted in the Merc outboard section. Maybe one of the Mods will move it to the Mercruiser section.

Are you sure the new switch is wired in correctly. If it was running properly before the switch change, that is.

Mrsinbad

Cadet

Welcome aboard. This is posted in the Merc outboard section. Maybe one of the Mods will move it to the Mercruiser section.

Are you sure the new switch is wired in correctly. If it was running properly before the switch change, that is.

Yes, until the other switch would not spring back. I was on the lake, i played with the ignition until i got it to start with without the starter stuck engaged, i then drove it to the dock. I later bought a 3 wire ignition switch similar to original. I changed up the wiring to many combinations with no luck. Now i have battery wire to B, solenoid wire to S and the third wire to I- ignition. The boat will stay on if i hold key all the way to the right but the starter stays onn too, once i let go of key, everthing dies.

GA_Boater

Sounds like the ballast resistor or wiring to it. Honestly I'm guessing. I'm going to ask a mod to move this to the Mercruiser section - more people in the know there.

Mrsinbad

Cadet

Sounds like the ballast resistor or wiring to it. Honestly I'm guessing. I'm going to ask a mod to move this to the Mercruiser section - more people in the know there.

Thank u, Sir!

Don S

You don't have a ballast resistor in your system, so don't go looking for it.

Do you have you kill switch lanyard in and turned on?

If you turn the key to the run position does your instruments come to life?

Mrsinbad

Cadet

You don't have a ballast resistor in your system, so don't go looking for it.

Do you have you kill switch lanyard in and turned on?

If you turn the key to the run position does your instruments come to life?

Yes, it has a lanyard kill switch and in the on position, maybe i could bypass it to test it? And yes all my instruments come to life and i get a steady beep until i go to start.

Don S

Turn the key to the run position and see if you have power to the + terminal of the coil.

GA_Boater

Now you will get somewhere. Like I said, guessing here and that's never good. Good luck, sinbad

Mrsinbad

Cadet

Turn the key to the run position and see if you have power to the + terminal of the coil.

Ok, i just got home. I turned the key to run position and checked positive side of coil for voltage and there is none! 😞 What would cause that?

Mrsinbad

Cadet

Now you will get somewhere. Like I said, guessing here and that's never good. Good luck, sinbad

Thank u for directing me to the right place! 😊

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ok, i just got home. I turned the key to run position and checked positive side of coil for voltage and there is none! 😞 What would cause that?

Go to the back of the key and check for voltage there. If you have power on the 'I' terminal (which should have the purple wire on it), then short the deadman lanyard switch. That will probably be the problem. If not, come back here for further checks...

Chris..........

Mrsinbad

Cadet

Go to the back of the key and check for voltage there. If you have power on the 'I' terminal (which should have the purple wire on it), then short the deadman lanyard switch. That will probably be the problem. If not, come back here for further checks...

Chris..........

Hi Chris, i checked at the back of the key switch i have over 12 volts there in the run position. I jumpered the lanyard switch n tried to start boat, it still turns off when i release the key from start to run.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You now need to check continuity between the key switch and the coil +. It goes through pin# 5 on the big 10 pin engine harness connector. That's the first place I'd check, look for a corroded, bent or broken pin. If that looks ok, then use a multimeter and check continuity between the key and the end of the harness, and between the engine side of the harness and the coil +.....

Chris..........

Mrsinbad

Cadet

You now need to check continuity between the key switch and the coil +. It goes through pin# 5 on the big 10 pin engine harness connector. That's the first place I'd check, look for a corroded, bent or broken pin. If that looks ok, then use a multimeter and check continuity between the key and the end of the harness, and between the engine side of the harness and the coil +
Chris..........

Thanks again, ill get out there first thing in the morning to try that. I hope i can find the places u describe. Im very greatful for the help.

Mrsinbad

Cadet

Ok, i have continuity from the front end of the harness to the coil, i ran a wire to the left side of the starter solenoid and actually got it to run normally. I think im losing continuity in one of the sections of the harness between the key ignition and one of the harness plugs. But cant quite pin point where yet.

Don S

I see so many threads of people doing the tests, only to find they are using the meter wrong. How exactly are you doing these continuity tests?

Mrsinbad

Cadet

I see so many threads of people doing the tests, only to find they are using the meter wrong. How exactly are you doing these continuity tests?

I found a shorted wire that must have gotten hot when the ignition was stuck in the start position when my original problem started on the lake. I cut out the bad section, replaced with new wire. Now it starts right up and stays on. Thank u all so much for the help!