200 Mercury EFI Lower Unit Issue???

jjbch

Recruit
I am new to posting to forums, though I read them regularly. During the day I seemed to have a issue when put into forward gear.
When loading my boat on the trailer, I engaged the forward position and something seemed to grind and the motor immediately shut down.
I have no clue to what could have happened. Now even with the throttle position in neutral, the prop will not turn at all.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the consideration.

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 200 Mercury EFI Lower Unit Issue???

Is it in neutral on engine side too , or just the remote control?

Last edited:

jjbch

Recruit

I took the motor cover off and found the cable had come out of the connection under the motor hood. It is it 200 market EFI. I put the cable back on the pin, and there is some play when i move the piece that looks like a wing nut back and forth. I noticed a spring on the stud, and i am not sure whether to tighten the nut or not. From the remote it goes in forward fine, but it seems to bind when I try to put in reverse now. Thanks for the reply. The help is more than welcome

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You would NOT try to put in reverse when engine isn`t running,this can in worst case bend and destroy thing in the gear assembly.
If you want to shift in reverse while not running,manually turn the flywheel (CLOCKWISE) while you shift.

IMPORTANT:Ignition switch in OFF position

The spring on the stud should had the function to prevent the wing-nut from not turn off by it self.
How far down you should turn it ,well Iam not sure.

jjbch

Recruit

Iceman, thanks for the reply. Got everything worked out. Thanks again