Made some new emblems for our SkipperLiner

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For some time now I've been going to make some new logo emblems for our SkipperLiner, I finally got around to doing it.

Here's one of the old emblems:

oldskipemb.jpg

We repainted the boat quite awhile ago (still have to do the front patio and flybridge!). In my spare time (what's that?) I've been trying to design some easy to make vinyl graphics, swooshes & stuff that will actually fit, since the port side of the boat is mostly windows. Anyway, I wanted my new emblems to be of the newer logo, which I digitized awhile back. I've had some pieces of 1/8" plexiglas mirror kicking around, some 'regular' silver mirror, and some bronze. The regular was so old I couldn't remove the masking so bronze it is!

I didn't want to just stick lettering to the boat, so I made backing plates out of some 1/16" thick black matte acrylic to highlight the lettering and make the whole thing a one-piece unit.

First up is laser cutting the letters and backings--

newemb1.jpg

Now I have to apply some double-sided tape to the letters and stick them to the backing---

newemb2.jpg

--and this is what I ended up with! One down, one to go...

newemb3.jpg

newemb4.jpg

newemb5.jpg

=======================

Should look good on the old girl! Being all acrylic they'll last outdoors for years. Going to put them on later today, and take some pics.

Maybe this'll kick-start me into getting the flybridge painted and some new graphics made up!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Made some new emblems for our SkipperLiner

Yes you did good. What type LASER Engraver do you own? I have a Universal Model LASER Engraver myself and make all types of item and plates for electronic equipment. So I guess you also know how to use Corel Draw as well. I use both Corel Draw and Visio Pro to design my projects... Just wondering...

littlerayray

Lieutenant

very cool
its the little things that make a boat

airshot

Rear Admiral

Awesome, nice work. It is always a pleasure to use your own creative artwork on a project.

Airshot

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looks great cant wait to see em on the boat

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes you did good. What type LASER Engraver do you own? I have a Universal Model LASER Engraver myself and make all types of item and plates for electronic equipment. So I guess you also know how to use Corel Draw as well. I use both Corel Draw and Visio Pro to design my projects... Just wondering...

My wife & I own an engraving business that my dad started in 1966, it's been in what was there basement (now ours) since 1969. I've been a co-owner since 1974. Virtually all the equipment we have- two lasers, two Concept 2000's, three 3400's, three Vanguard 5000's (2 XT's one regular), my new IS400 point 'n' shoot, and 2 tool grinders, they're all New Hermes-- although back before computers we had a couple of Gorton Panto-mills. My lasers are a circa 1996 New Hermes 25 watt laser that Universal built, the one that made the emblems is a New Hermes 40 watt I've had for almost 10 years, French built but not sure by who exactly-

Before the lasers I was using - and still use- 2 old versions of CasMate, a DOS version I got in '91 and a "Lite" Windows version. I still use CasMate for all my scanning and most of my editing. I learned to use Corel once I got the Universal laser, mostly because it was much cheaper than the engraving software they wanted me to buy to run it. That software came with the second laser, had it for 7 years before I ever tried to use it. It's "Gravostyle" by New Hermes, made by "Type3" which I've never heard of. It has some pretty cool features, but whoever designed it went out of their way to make it work completely backwards to "traditional" graphics software.

Anyway, that's my (life's) story and I'm sticking to it!

The new emblems are the same length as the old ones, but the new lettering is smaller because the logo is part of the total emblem, and that makes the emblems appear smaller than the old ones. But we're happy with it, they helped! Just need some graphics to go with them now! :)

was getting dark when I took the pics so they're a little fuzzy ;)

newemblem1.jpg

newemblem3.jpg

====================

--and thanks everyone else!

And good to hear from you James! :) And Dave- (keep seeing familar names!)