New Boat - First Time Out - What to do?

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We got our new 20' Sun Tracker w/75hp OptiMax this winter. And of course we have had the longest winter in memory. It sat in the driveway covered in frickin snow until recently. :facepalm: If everything goes right, we will take the boat out this afternoon for a shakedown cruise. This is mostly a cruise to see how everything works and to get a feel for the boat. We'll be following the motor break-in guide and all that. But in general, are there any things we should check or make note of concerning the entire boat, for this first outing?

BOWMAKER1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Boat - First Time Out - What to do?

I don't know if you have had a boat before but just make sure of the obvious thing especially any thing electrical. Make sure all lights work, the tack and fuel gauge, play with the trim and learn how to use it properly. Put the Bimini top up and down a couple of times to get the feel of it. If you have auxiliary power like a trolling motor see that it works, because even a brand new boat can leave you stranded on the water. Along with that have at least one anchor on board and plenty of line in case you might need it.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What he said....but would also add....keep the first time out to a VERY small group. I always take a boat out for the first time with JUST me and one other adult. It is annoying as all hell when there are dozen people wanting to play around and you are just trying to make sure crap works.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, my 10 year old son and I ended up on the water for a couple hours, and did the things you guys mentioned, among other things. Everything seems to work well. The engine break in allowed for shorts full throttle bursts, and the boat pulled to about 22mph in choppy water, at about 5600rpm. This is a 20' with a 75hp OptiMax, with a 14x13P prop. I'm happy with those numbers, and expect another mph or two in calm waters.

I was humbled twice, though. First when we found a sand bar in the bay about 3/4 miles off shore. I knew the waters were shallow, but I expected a little more depth that far out. No damage except to my ego, and a depth finder is on the shopping list.

Second, and more humbling due to everyone watching, was trying to get the boat back on the trailer. The landing is on a river with a decent current. I tried a number of times to get the dang thing lined up, only to be pushed off course again. A guy fishing from shore came over and I was very happy to let him help. He said he has a pontoon as well, and went through the same frustration. Said I'll get it with more practice.

Thanks, my 10 year old son and I ended up on the water for a couple hours, and did the things you guys mentioned, among other things. Everything seems to work well. The engine break in allowed for shorts full throttle bursts, and the boat pulled to about 22mph in choppy water, at about 5600rpm. This is a 20' with a 75hp OptiMax, with a 14x13P prop. I'm happy with those numbers, and expect another mph or two in calm waters.

I was humbled twice, though. First when we found a sand bar in the bay about 3/4 miles off shore. I knew the waters were shallow, but I expected a little more depth that far out. No damage except to my ego, and a depth finder is on the shopping list.

Second, and more humbling due to everyone watching, was trying to get the boat back on the trailer. The landing is on a river with a decent current. I tried a number of times to get the dang thing lined up, only to be pushed off course again. A guy fishing from shore came over and I was very happy to let him help. He said he has a pontoon as well, and went through the same frustration. Said I'll get it with more practice.

I have the same problem loading because I am used to a bass boat. We are trying to load something that catches alot more of the current and a lot more of the wind. What i was told was to load with a little more power so the back of the boat doesnt get pushed as far down as it does because i try to idle onto the trailer

The Rooster

Ensign

I have the same problem loading because I am used to a bass boat. We are trying to load something that catches alot more of the current and a lot more of the wind. What i was told was to load with a little more power so the back of the boat doesnt get pushed as far down as it does because i try to idle onto the trailer

Shame on you, Richard. Thats called Power loading !!!:faint2: Yes, we do it too !!! :D

I thought powerloading was throttling after you hit the trailer to get all the way on. I am meaning approch a little faster so boat doesnt drift as much then hook winch cable, back trailer down a little more if need be and winch boat rest of way up trailer

Pjaudon

Cadet

You can go ahead and put a dent in it and get that over with...

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was hoping I could post before you 'got her wet'. Everyone forgot the most important thing about the maiden voyage of your new boat. Something that everyone should do the first time out !!

ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY.

We bought our first Party Barge last year. It replaced a 75mph, screaming MiMi, OH MY GOD, blown jet boat. Now, instead of 75mph, we can go 25mph and enjoy the scenery, seat 9 instead of 4 and carry enough food and drink to feed the Chinese Army for a week. The Grand Kids were afraid of the 'go fast', they LOVE the Barge. I fabricated a 9' umbrella in the bow, more unique than another Bimini, and only cost 40 bucks. Also mounted a "Tike's Slide" to the stern. The 4 year old loves it. Then there is the 45psi, 5 gallon per minute RV water pump. I don't loose water fights anymore. See, ENJOY that new toy!!!

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We will enjoy it. I just gotta figure out the loading in a current thing. And I want to look into towing insurance, for peace of mind. When we are out on Green Bay, we can be miles from the nearest other boat. A dead engine isn't always just an inconvenience out there.

922154_4849685088970_729829402_o.jpg

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Does your trailer have guide boards on it? They help alot..

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it does. They ride against the inner sides of the logs. I think a lot of it was simply because I am inexperienced. I plan on going out again tomorrow. We'll see if I embarrass myself again.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I try to get between the guides and then give it enough throttle to get up a ways and hook up the winch strap and then look over the sides to see if it looks even on the fenders. Sometimes I turn the motor hard one way or the other and give it enough in reverse to move it over straight. Then I just reach over and crank the winch to finish pulling it on. The reason I am able to do this is because I removed the hooking point from under the boat and installed one of those fold down cargo hooks about two feet back on top of the deck. If you do this make sure you reinforce it by tieing it in to several cross braces like the hook was when it was underneath.

lea

Seaman Apprentice

If you are loading in a swift current it is best to approach your trailer from the downstream side, it is much easier to control your boat and you can use a little throttle to help control the boat.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got some confidence back today. I tried a different landing. This one is in a short protective cove. No wind or currents to mess with me. Launched and retrieved it with no issues, first time around. It was a great day on the boat.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was a great day on the boat.

OUTSTANDING, that is the way they all should be. It just takes a little time. 'Toons load and unload a bit different than conventional boats. Just take your time. There is always one ***** at the ramp with a mouth, just ignore him and take your time. Our 2012, 18' is our 6th or 7th boat, but first pontoon. It takes a little while, but it is a whole new world!

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. This ramp was nice. It was moderately busy, with someone loading or unloading at all times, but there was no line of people waiting, so I had plenty of time to do it. I talked to a guy that just came in, real nice guy. I asked him about the channel going out, knowing that it is pretty shallow. He assured me with the motor trimmed up some I would have no issues. I've found most (not all) boaters are pretty good people.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes you will quickly be able to spot boaters from people who own boats. A good set of guides makes all of the difference and it sounds like you have the best kind. Like these. After a bit of practice you can load easily in a 20 mph cross wind.

trailer front.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You mentioned adding a depth finder. Be aware that any depth finder or fish finder with that capability will tell you how deep the water is AFTER you've hit whatever it is that you are now stuck on. The locator cannot tell you in advance how deep the water is. It does tell you how deep the water is directly under the transducer which is at the back of the boat. You still need to know the water you boat on or at least have a basic understanding of how to follow a channel and read markers and bouys.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agreed. And I'll get to know the areas I boat most often. The depth finder I ordered also has GPS and a chart plotter, which will help with some of that (I do know the charts may not be 100% reliable). And I have downloaded some charts to look over on my computer. The situation I ended up in the other day would probably have been avoided with a depth finder though. The bay here doesn't have any fast depth changes in the area I was in. The finder would have told me I was in 4, then 3, then 2 feet of water and I would have known to make some heading changes.

On the plus side, I now know where there is a great sand bar for swimming/wading this summer. ;)