Hull Style

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice
What year did starcraft stop producing the "lapstrake" hull design? Are the lapstrakes, better, stronger ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hull Style

SC phased in the smooth sided models. You can browse the brochures to see when the last lapstrakes were produced. IMHO I think the smoothers are a bit stronger because they introduced more internal hull bracing from the ribs to the hull join strake.

North Beach

Commander

It's probably more like 6 of one-half dozen of the other. But from a general sheet metal approach, the breaks (or bends) in the sheet allow you to acheive a stiffer panel with a thinner metal. Personally, I think it was just a cost saving issue allowing more ease in construction and resulting in less steps or labor producing the hull.

As far as when it happened, I'm not up on the newer models because Starcraft started doing weird things with their brochures and providing less technical information.

barato2

Commander

NB, you mean when they switched from the faux-lapstrake to the straight sides? likely correct that it was cost cutting. i know the older brochures used to actually tout how much the "straking" added to hull strength, altho i strongly suspect that the original reason was looks. remember that in the infancy of tin boats, they were seen as the low budget alternative to pricier boats made out of wood planking.

(oh, that's right, they still ARE the low budget alternative....)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a 1982 180 ss with the lapstrakes sides, and I have seen V5 hulls from the mid 80's that were smooth about the side trim... so, my guess is in the 80's!!bob