Bunk slicks

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The last time in we had to back in a long way to get the boat off the trailer and back on. I ordered some bunk slicks and plan on installing them the next time out. I ordered two sets of 3"x16" packs of ten, and figure that if I space them 8" apart they should be enough to cover the front ten feet or so of the 16 foot long bunk boards. Do you think they will be enough to do the job?

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bunk slicks

I have a complete set on a 24 ft. trailer. All I can say good about them is they look good ,but that's all.If I don't put the boat into the water all the way the boat does not move.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was reading another post on hereabout that same issue, and alot of people spray silicone on the bunks to help with getting in and out of the water

Silver Eagle

That's kind of hard to do with the boat on top of the bunks.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

As they said on the other thread, Launch boat. Go boating for an hour or so. Then come and spray the bunks. Then go boat another hour to allow silicone to dry a bit. Then do a slick recovery.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I might have to do some cleaning and polishing on the toons to get the full effect from these slicks. Right now I am kind of disappointed in the slicks. I thought that I would only have to back in far enough for the front of the boat to be resting on the slicks for loading and unloading but I really didn't gain that much. Being as how I have a bunk type trailer it might be a problem getting at the bottom of the toons to clean them. Most of my work on the trailer is done in the parking lot by the boat dock. All the dust from the gravel/ sandy road, on the way to the lake might not be helping matters either. Even driving slowly there is a quite a cloud of dust being thrown back from the tires.

harley707

Cadet

I glued my carpet to the bunk boards with a spray adhesive sray both carpet and wood let the tack up and then stick them together seems to help quite a bit launching an recovering boat.

Silver Eagle

I just like to float the boat off and do the same when loading .hook the hook and pull it out.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

what type of silicone is the best to spray the bunk slicks with, so the pontoon slides better on them