Upper crankshaft oil seal removal - 1972 18HP - 18202 - Evinrude

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
The upper crankshaft seal is obviously leaking, I found fuel/oil mix all over the crankcase. I have removed everything to get a look at the seal... which is shot. *Seal part number is 305987* The powerhead has not been removed from the exhaust housing.

I have a seal puller but it is way too large to use in such a tight space. I improvised a "hook" out of an old screwdriver but that didn't work out so well for the screwdriver or my hand.

Others have said to drill small pilot holes in the oil seal and thread screws into the seal and using a hammer or similar tool slowly pull it out. Honestly I do not like this idea... I can see it would be way too easy to get metal shavings in the bearing below doing this.

I know I cannot be the only person that has attempted to pull this seal without splitting the crankcase....so how did you guys do yours? (I've searched and did not find any results.)

I have not been able to find a smaller puller anywhere...

(For those of you that do not know what I am talking about, the seal is about 1.25" around, the top of the crankshaft - where the flywheel bolts on - runs up through the middle of it. To make things even more interesting there is a collar about 1/2" high that the seal sits down in...this "collar" is the top edge of the two crankcase halves which holds the seal in place.)

AlTn

Commander
Re: Upper crankshaft oil seal removal - 1972 18HP - 18202 - Evinrude

I recently did this to the same year and hp. motor using the thin screw method...I drilled a pilot hole first, you only need to penetrate ~1/64" then you're into the rubber, enlarged the hole some with an awl and set the screw. I used some vice grips laying flat sided against a piece of wood as a fulcrum point and it came out w/o much drama. In fact, I'd preped 4 holes, but it came on the first one.

A slap hammer with the screw head attachment would be the ticket, or, if you have a dealer nearby and he's willing to do this, the OMC tool they use will have it in 3 min. or so. The dealer near me did this to a 25 hp. I had while it was laying in a mini van. Old seal out and new one in $10 labor.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

As reluctant as I was to drill a hole in the seal.... I did. It came right out. Thank you AITn.

I also found out a company called Lisle makes an "shaft in seal remover" part # 58430, which would be perfect for this. It was less than $20 so I ordered it for next time I need to do this.

I set the timing and reassembled, water testing tomorrow hopefully she will run correctly now.

AlTn

Commander

thanks for the leslie tool info...good luck on the idle fix with the seal replacement