79 evinrude 3cyl. 70 hp. 20" shaft

bgduff

Recruit
Hello!
My question is what year models will interchange with my motor . The mod# is 70973r its a 79 evinrude 70hp 3 cyl. 20" shaft. Ive been trying to figure out the chart and cant get a clear answer. I have read different forums and they have different years one i read was from a 79 to 91 is this correct. How all this happened is i went to drain the oil in my lower unit and it had a crack in it. So i tore it down it down to get it welded. The pinion gear had two bad spots in it , And when i put the shaft out, the pinion bearings went everywhere. Just kinda scared about rebuilding it. It shows shims needed with a special tool for the gear lash. Thinking of just replacing the lower unit. Checked on Ebay they have used ones with no return policy so if i purchase the wrong one im stuck with it.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im ready to go fishing guys help please lol!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 evinrude 3cyl. 70 hp. 20" shaft

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: great to have you aboard...

After reading your post a few times, I understand what you are dealing with. Not seeing any pictures (which is always a great way to convey your issues on these forums) you can always go to the Evinrude parts section on here and look at the IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) for your engine and see the part numbers involved. Then you can match those numbers with the ones you see on Ebay to verify they are indeed the correct parts before buying anything. BUT, you can equally repair your lower foot as well and probably a lot cheaper than buying another lower unit...maybe. I'd suggest looking at the parts section for your engine first and becoming familiar with your parts then make your decision... :)