1984 Starcraft 140ST rebuild

rwall10597

Recruit
So I got lucky and got a 1984 Starcraft for free. I got it about two months ago but I waited till everything successfully transferred into my name before i spent any money. It took a little time because the guy i got it from was the son of the last registered owner, anyway, it all went through and i am rocking and rolling. The transom, stringers, floor etc... were all rotten. I did the transom a few weeks ago, then got the stringers epoxied in this week. I have the floor all cut and I set it in place to try out the motor. It has a 70hp Evinrude, also 1984. It hauls! When i first ran it in the tub I had it running really heavy on oil so it poured smoke, but with the right mix it was perfect. I went for a 5 minute trip with my son and clocked 33.8 on the GPS. I realized later the linkage wasn't quite right and the carbs were not opening even close to all the way, so I've likely got some more there, or at least that again loaded up with people and gear. I'm going to go out there now and cut the cross supports that go between the stringers, then hopefully get the floor epoxied in over the weekend.

I'm using 1/2 marine ply for the floor, and I've got outdoor carpet to put over it. I was thinking one generous layer of epoxy on the floor. My question to the masses, what should i do to the bottom of the floor? A layer of epoxy too? Paint? Nothing?

I got one gallon of west system, and i was hoping that would be enough. If i do the bottom of the floor too i bet i will have to buy more, then i will have enough for two coats on top too, ld like to make it on this $ wise, I'm probably down well below half. Please advise.

Also, i think based on the HIN its a 1984 st 140. Was there such a thing and how do i tell for sure?

rwall10597

Recruit
Re: 1984 Starcraft 140ST rebuild

Alright, it is a ST150, prior owner was confused, it was right on the capacity plate. Cross supports going quicker then expected, optimistic on front half of the floor tomorrow.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the board!

Not many glassers show up here. Chinewalker documented his American resto really well. Very ambitious project!

rwall10597

Recruit
Re: 1984 Starcraft 150ST rebuild

Re: 1984 Starcraft 150ST rebuild

So I'm curious, does anybody know how much structure my floor adds, or is it mainly just there to be a floor?

barato2

Commander

i know nothing, but just thinking about it from an engineering standpoint, it has to add a lot. it is what makes a "box" structure out of the hull bottom and stringers (when viewed in longitudinal cross section), which is probably a good part of your hull rigidity, even on a glasser.

rwall10597

Recruit

So everything came together nicely. I've got it down to just over 30 minutes from the boat being in the garage to clearing the no-wake buoys. The floor and everything underneath it came together great, I've got the bilge pump installed, and the engine just purrs. I've been buzzing around the lake for weeks now, sometimes three or four nights in a row :) I've got a few more odds and ends to do, mainly putting the carpet in. Its running like 33 MPH typically with the kids, I've gotten it to just north of 37 by myself. I've still got to adjust the linkage a little because I'm not quite opening the carbs all the way, so I may have a little more top end to go.