We've (Allegedly) Bought a Boat - The Saga

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, Slip Away couldn't keep his lips together....the secret is out.

We have (allegedly) bought a boat, and it's all SA's fault. :D Y'all have noted that DH's list was becoming increasingly restricted and picky...some might even say (OK, I think I did say) difficult and OCD...:whistle:

We were in serious discussions with an owner in Central CA, one in Phoenix, AZ and another in Havasu (the infamous boat physically in AZ and registered in Idaho). The Phoenix one looked perfect, but there was someone scheduled to see it that weekend. The seller agreed to let us know how that went, either way. The Havasu guy (via texts and emails through his wife in ID) said that he didn't have the HID readily available for an escrow account setup (after she'd allegedly re-registered the boat in their name and sent him the papers). The Central CA boat had a few negatives, mainly it had been stored outside and all the canvas was shot.

SA saved him from myself. :) SA sent me a PM that a local dealer had some new-old stock in the warehouse, and perhaps there was a boat that fit our criteria. I called, expecting failure based on our extremely specific (and ever-evolving) decision preferences. Instead, I went through the spreadsheet, and Chris' new-old boat met EVERY criteria in it.

1) 19-21 feet. (Check. 19'7" without extended swim platform).
2) Monterey, Chaparral, Four Winns or Glastron. (Check. Monterey).
3) 260-270 hp, V8
4) Volvo Penta or Mercruiser (VP preferred). Check - VP SX drive.
5) Fuel Injected.
6) Dual axle trailer.
7) Walk through transom
8) Extended swim platform, if at all feasible.
9) Under 150 hours.
10) Prefer 2005 or newer.
11) Bimini top, no ski tower.
12) Canvas for bimini, cockpit, bow.

Other preferences: stainless steel accents and rubrail, CD/iPod input, bow ladder, depth finder and compass, snap out carpet.

So I called DH immediately, sent him some pics, and then called Chris back and bought the boat over the phone. We put down a 10% deposit, and he's now getting the trailer built. The only bummer: timing was originally 2-3 weeks, then 3-4. It's 4 weeks today, and the trailer was JUST getting finished yesterday. For various reasons, we can't go to SoCal this weekend, but we will be going down next weekend to get it.

It's a 2010 Monterey 194 FS - white and black, with a subdued color scheme. It's 5k more than I planned on originally, but we ultimately decided that it was worth $5K to us to have a boat that is perfect from Day 1, and we can take care of it from the start. Best of all (for my little accountant's heart), the depreciation has already been taken. The 194 FS is now called the 204 FS - and current MSRP for the options on ours would bring the price to $51K + TTL. Ours ran about 60% of that price, so we're feeling good about the whole thing.

Keep your fingers crossed that the pickup goes well next week! I hope to have happy Sandi_k pics in the water soon.
:D

194 FS - front.jpg

194 fs rear.jpg

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: We've (Allegedly) Bought a Boat - The Saga

And a couple more pics:

194 fs helm.jpg194 fs interior.jpg194 fs interior transom.jpg

Chief9

Seaman

Congrats! We love our Monty, great boat

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats, now you can start stressing about putting the first scratch on her! :)

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice, looks like your rigorous due diligence paid off handsomely. Enjoy it in good health!

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats, now you can start stressing about putting the first scratch on her! :)

Oh, yeah. I'm sure we'll have the darned thing festooned with lines and bumper guards galore. :)

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, now for the fun part. Any suggestions on names that might include a nod and a wink to spreadsheets? DH's request. ;)

We've thought perhaps:

Excel-ent (but then I'm afraid people will think I can't spell).
Excel-Ent Adventure
Maybe just Excellent Adventure, with the spreadsheet reference an in-joke?

Any other ideas?

Also considering "Good Idea", since one of the lines in Monty Python's Holy Grail that still cracks us up is God's exasperated reply "Of course it's a Good Idea!" It might also forestall the parental criticism, which I'm sure is imminent. ;)

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice, looks like your rigorous due diligence paid off handsomely. Enjoy it in good health!

Thanks, Todd. I still have lust in my heart for the Chapparral 204/206 ssi, but I'm sure I'll love the Monty too. ;)

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

OK, now for the fun part. Any suggestions on names that might include a nod and a wink to spreadsheets? DH's request. ;)

We've thought perhaps:

Excel-Ent Adventure

Any other ideas?

You could always go with Excel-ent with the "Excel" in the Microsoft font and the "-ent" along with your port of call in a different type and or size. That way everyone would know it had something to do with the spreadsheet and not a misspelling.:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

have fun! I think especially in your case it's wise to pay for reliability.

I like the way it has pedestal seats instead of back to back to give you more room.

Just like buying a house, you can never find one boat with all the features you want

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very nice ride, enjoy it.

Maclin

Admiral

We've thought perhaps:

Excel-Ent Adventure

Any other ideas?

Also considering "Good Idea", since one of the lines in Monty Python's Holy Grail that still cracks us up is God's exasperated reply "Of course it's a Good Idea!" It might also forestall the parental criticism, which I'm sure is imminent. ;)

Ex-CELL-ent
Excel-ent Result

Or more related to the amount of effort and time...:
FINE-ALLY or FINE-A-Lee or similar. Any Lee's in the family?

We used a mashup of our youngest kid's names to come up with "Taylor Conn" for our current boat.

On one of my first outings with it I earned the title "Wave Slayer" so we use that for the nickname.

We also have an inflatable boat the kids won from some contest just before we got got this boat so we named it also...
"Taylor Conn II -- Raft of Conn"

Once we were in the naming mode it seemed only natural to name the tube...
"Tubular Conn"

Couldn't leave out the knee board or skis after all of that thinking, so we followed the "WaveSlayer" theme for them

Combo Skis ....: "Wave Dancer"
Slalom.........: "Wave Teaser"
Kneeboard......: "Wave Bait"
Double sitdown rider towable...: "Wave Rider"

saumon

Lieutenant

"Knot counting" because:

1) obviously, when you'll be aboard you won't work
2) of the infamous boater's selective memory which tend to loose track of all the expenses related to their activity...
3) when you're on the water, nothing else matter

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Just like buying a house, you can never find one boat with all the features you want

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Don't tell Sandi-k that... (DH) may see that post and force her to start the whole process all over again!!!!! It's a beautiful boat.... the perfect boat..... the only boat for them.... there couldn't possibly be a better boat for them.... In fact there will never be a better boat made for them... EVER!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though Sandi, Congratulations and use it in good health!:D

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Don't tell Sandi-k that... (DH) may see that post and force her to start the whole process all over again!!!!! It's a beautiful boat.... the perfect boat..... the only boat for them.... there couldn't possibly be a better boat for them.... In fact there will never be a better boat made for them... EVER!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though Sandi, Congratulations and use it in good health!:D

LOL, Tazrig! Are you saying we'll be immune to two-foot-itis? ;) Good to know!

It's not quite perfect - RED would have been perfect. But even DH had to admit he couldn't add THAT requirement to the search. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes. Looking forward to having the time to GET OUT on the water in June!

Last edited:

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Like in my Heart"?

Seriously, with the hyphen in there I don't think anyone will assume you can't spell excellent.

And Chap does do it right. ;)

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on a great boat!
Looks like you are "Excel-Ing" to me!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Best of luck. How about...

'Off the Grid'

'We Row'