Change disc calipers as maintenance?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
After reading many threads on the subject of malfunctioning disc calipers and recently experiencing it personally, I can't help but wonder if changing disc calipers on a boat trailer every five years or so is simply a good maintenance practice. The OEM calipers on my trailer (UFP non-aluminum/stainless) loaded with pads can be had for about $120 a pair (I feel confident I could change them out myself) and is a small price considering the aggravation (not to mention cost to have it done at a shop) I went through, only to be told that malfunctioning calipers are essentially the nature of the beast given usage parameters on a boat trailer. Any thoughts?

Re: Change disc calipers as maintenance?

if the caliper was gaurenteed to last 5 years then that would make sense. If the seals are good the caliper is normally not a problem but the pads can be if they are running against a steel disk thats rusting. Good maintenance would be to check and service the wheel and brakes every few months then if a problem like a split seal/dust cover is noted then you have options like changing the dust seal before seizing the caliper. $120 is cheap but then again why stop there as theres alot of other parts that could do with a refresh like the wheel bearings, tires, etc etc.
p.s always try to do a service when you have no plans to use the boat as theres nothing worse than doing the service the night before to find that you have a problem that needs to be fixed in a hurry in the middle of the night.