Bravo 1 drive temp ?

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recall reading somewhere, about bravo drives over heating, and needing to run a drive shower?? if no shower then you can only run your boat on a plane for a max of 30min, can't recall where I read this or if it was specific to the 1 2 or 3 drive....anyone know if this is true, I never run my 7.4L Bravo1 anywhere close WOT, I'm normally in the 2800-3200 range depending on boat load! but a idle down off a plane every 20-30 min on longer runs because i recalled reading something...I have checked the top drive housing several times while running on a plane with someone else operating, it is above warm feeling, little hot but no where near the point of boiling or causing steam...guess my ? is can I run longer periods with out coming off plane, I have a 90 mile trip planned and I really don't want to keep stopping every 20-30 min

Thanks in advance for any replies

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 1 drive temp ?

No, you don't need a drive shower for a single long trip.
It's those constant long, high speed runs that makes it hard on the gear lube.
The gear lube is what fails first.

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I should be ok with a 3-4 hr cruise to my 90mile destination without backing down off plane? the gear lube was just changed about 15 engine hrs ago, I did not see anything odd with the oil when it drained!thanks for the feedback, I was just concerned about damaging my drive because of excessive heat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You'll be fine. Enjoy your trip.
The gear lube might get a little darker from the heat, but in that little run you aren't going to damage anything.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your drive doesn't show signs of a white residue left on it, then you are probably fine. The residue is an indication of an overheated outdrive. This usually shows up on a B1 when the raw water intake is rerouted from the drive to an external intake, since the raw water flowing through the drive to the pump helps cool the drive. Or if there are mechanical problems with the drive, causing excessive internal friction. Or, the rigs were very high powered with sustained high power runs, something most of us don't do anyway.

B2's seem to run warmer than B1's do, from what I have read.

If you religiously do drive maintenance and change your drive oil with the good stuff, when recommended, all should be good.

My B1 never shows any signs of overheating while on plane on 80 to 100 mile round trips I make on regular outings. I was concerned about this also, after reading all the drive shower manufacturer's literature (sales/marketing hype). After about 2 hours on plane, on one trip, I stopped the boat mid river, shut her off and climbed over the platform to physically feel the drive and it was barely warm to the touch. Maybe my trim tabs cause enough splash on the drive to effectively do the same as a drive shower. Who knows.....