Butchered trim system

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 77 Starcraft Islander. The trim switches on the dash are labeled "StarTrim". I have one red switch labeled "in-out" and a black switch below it labeled "up- down". The P.O.has the wiring so butchered up I don't know where to start. Right now, the "up-down" only works for up. The P.O. wired a second switch for down that seems to be jumping the hot on the down selonoid. I want to scrap the whole thing and install a remote trim switch like would be an add on at the transom. How would I wire this remote switch at my dash. And, did this system on my boat ever have a way to go into trailer position? If it did, would the remote switch allow that position to be attained? What was "in-out" for in the first place? I'm lost here...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Butchered trim system

In this forum, we need to know what engine and drive you have, not what boat you have.

Assuming it's a Mercruiser, do you have a trim pump with 1 or 2 solenoids?

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Don, Sorry, It's a 153CI. 120HP. inline 4. Two solenoid trim system, MC1 drive. I have a Clymer book, but it does not cover the two toggle switch startrim. This system is new to me and that's the basis of my confusion. The Clymer book only covers the Merc controls. If it helps, My throttle\shift has no trim controls, It only has the dash switches. The new switch I have is made by TH marine part#ttc-1-dp. It is a simple up-down control. It has three wires, a purple, blue and green.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a Clymer book, but it does not cover the two toggle switch startrim

I have no clue what your startrim is, might post a picture of your switches. Sounds like something Starcraft made if it's called Startrim. Might be similar to what merc uses, just with a light and different switches.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will try to post a picture. I'm more challenged with that then with the trim system. My son should be able to figure out how to get a picture on her. Thank you.