I need to change the Trim lines on my volvo penta can someone walk me through It .

chevelle316

Cadet
I have a 2003 starcraft with a 4.3 engine and a volvo out drive. one of my Trim lines from the pump to the outdrive broke.I bought 2 new ones and I am going to attemt to change them myself. It seems like there is a little block that I can see from the outside with 4 lines from the outside attached to it and one nut holding it in place. I would greatly appriciate any tips or advice to changing these lines hopefully without taking the outdrive apart. Thanks Joe

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I need to change the Trim lines on my volvo penta can someone walk me through It

You don't have to take the drive apart, but you do have to take it off, along with the pivot housing and bellows. Then you can at least see it. you may not be able to get a wrench on your hose, if not, you could end up removing the manifold from the drive and depending on corrosion and access you may have to pull the engine as well.

It is not a quick and easy job.

Here is the service manual with all the details.

http://www.4shared.com/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I need to change the Trim lines on my volvo penta can someone walk me through It

I have just done this job.
My lines have been worn where they rubbed against the sides of the transom shield, whilst not leaking they were worn through the first layer of reinforcing. After 13 seasons of corrosion in salt water there was no way I could get the pipe fittings out from the little manifold. So I had to remove it with the lines in place.
The manual is very simplistic, with the engine in place you have no access to the inboard side of the manifold.
Make sure you have slack in the two inboard lines, remove the nut and washer on the manifold. try as I may the manifold would not budge.
I ended up threading a length of 4mm nylon line crisscrossed around the pipe nuts and then used a lump hammer connected to the nylon line to jerk the manifold out. Once free it will only come out 1/2 an inch until it needs to be turned to allow the internal hoses to pass through. With the external lines connected it cannot be turned enough. My only solution was to bend the port side stainless lines close to the manifold 90 degrees, then it was easy to pull the manifold out enough to remove the two internal lines.
In my case as I am replacing all the lines and the manifold bending the lines was not a problem. BTW the manifold is expensive!!!