pro and Cons of pontoon on Oneida Lake , NY

tpot

Recruit
Thinking of getting a pontoon boat ,but want to know how it will do on Oneida Lake ,and other lakes in New York State.
My wife wants it to have a room type cover , how will that work when the winds get strong ? How do the pontoons hold up to the waves of the lake ?

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: pro and Cons of pontoon on Oneida Lake , NY

I have a 22' Fisher that is on Oneida and there are MANY other toons there as well. The longer the boat, the better it will handle the waves and as far as the winds, I see many with camper enclosures and they are pretty strong so the winds shouldn't have much impact except affecting the handling of the boat.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I boated on Oneida Lake for many years. I don't think a toon would be my choice. Not that it wouldn't take it but I would want to be able to get off the lake quickly when the weather changes. Seriously dangerous lake when the weather is bad. Where do you put in or dock your boat? I kept ours at Boats-A-Float. Keith is a special guy.

Other lakes around there like Skaneateles would be better but the Big lake Ontario would also be questionable.

upstatematt

Cadet

I'm a beginner and have a 21' pontoon on Oneida Lake, this being our second year. I just check the weather forecast before going out, which I think is good advice for anywhere. I'm seeing a lot more pontoons on the lake than last year and our marina owner says a few of the owners in the marina have changed to pontoons this year. The lake isn't that wide, so I don't see why you couldn't dock it if you got caught in a storm. Anyhow, it's not that bad I think I'd worry more about the rocks...which is why I have charts for the lake that I use until I get to know it better.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thinking of getting a pontoon boat ,but want to know how it will do on Oneida Lake ,and other lakes in New York State.
My wife wants it to have a room type cover , how will that work when the winds get strong ? How do the pontoons hold up to the waves of the lake ?

We boat on Lake Lanier, 38,000 acres and have a tritoon and it takes the waves fine. Get a tritoon and you will be ok.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I don't want to stifle your fun just want to make you aware of Oneida Lake. It can get bad fast. Don't be fooled by it being narrow it has taken some large vessels down through the years. A great lake to have a boat on as long as you respect it. It's nice to hear there are more toons on it. Where is your marina? We use to be at Boats-A-Float.

upstatematt

Cadet

We are at Johnson bay which is in West Monroe, toad harbor. Hoping to do some trips this year, i love the lake but the river seems more relaxing.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Yea we use to travel up the river at brewerton end. It was nice one you got past the entrance. On the weekends it was very busy and lots of large wakes. But once in the river system its nice. The year before we left they were talking about a fee for the locks did this happen?

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

You hit it on the head, CHECK THE WEATHER!! All large bodies of water can get really bad, really quickly if you aren't careful. Family and I were beached in a huge cove on Lake Mead in Nevada. Got ready to head back to the Marina and found the main body of the lake really blowing. Hell of a rotten ride back to the Marina. If a HUGE houseboat hadn't happened by, I'd probably have stayed in the cove. Tucked up in his wake for 4 miles back to port. Enjoy that 'toon!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Oneida Lake is 5 miles x 21 miles in size, and it's the widest of the "finger lakes" of upstate New York. It averages 22' deep.

I could see where some of the weather coming out of Canada might whip up the waves.

But it's nothing that a good quality tritoon with a big engine couldn't handle. Such boats will run 40 mph, and they're very seaworthy.

I was out in medium size white caps today, and my Bennington handled the waves without any problem. The trick is to not max out the passenger load when wavy.