Need Trim and Tilt Mechanism Expert For 1995 Evinrude 25hp

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 1995 Evinrude 25hp on my jon boat, with elec start and remote. Model E25ELEOA. I did not receive an owners manual for the outboard when I bought the boat. I am trying to figure out how the trim/tilt mechanism is supposed to operate on this outboard.
I will explain what I have and what it does, and what I think it's supposed to do and hopefully someone can clear up my misunderstanding or what I need to fix to make it work right. I will use part names from the parts book so I use the proper names. All parts mentioned are in this diagram: OMC, Johnson & Evinrude - MIDSECTION - 1995 Johnson/Evinrude 20-30

First, what it does:
Starting from tilted up and locked. I insert the tilt pin in the second hole from the bottom (what's good for my boat). I lift outboard and spring action flips the tilt lock out of locked position. I lower the outboard until I hear the 'reverse lock link' click, PN 0322949 (74 on the diagram), on the tilt pin. Now I can go forward or reverse just fine. There is another lever in there that sits under the engine, intertwined with the 'reverse lock link' called only the "link", PN 0338657 (78 on the diagram), that flips back and forth, hanging under the reverse lock link. I think this is supposed to work with what I believe to be the a "reverse lock" on the outboard but it does not really do anything to affect anything else whether it is flipped forward or back. I cannot change trim or tilt the outboard up unless I pull the tilt pin out.

What I think is supposed to happen:
The tilt pin goes in the second hole from the bottom. The engine rests on that pin when going forward. The engine is not locked to that pin while going forward, so that the outboard can kick up if I hit an underwater obstacle. If I want to go into reverse I need to flip the "link", PN 0338657, under the engine so that the reverse lock link engages the tilt pin, otherwise the engine will kick up when I go into reverse.
When I disengage the 'reverse lock link', by way of what I believe is the "link", PN 0338657, the engine can once again tilt up without having to pull the tilt pin, and flip up should I hit an underwater obstacle when going forward.
The 'reverse lock link" is currently mounted so that the hooks on it face down, the same as you would see when looking at the parts explosion diagram in the link above. I kind of wonder if it should be facing up.

Which one is right?

Thanks,
Chris