Anyone familiar with these marinas on Catawba Island.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

Anyone have any experience with Midway, Foxhaven or Catawba Landing marinas. How are the people that run them? How is security? Etc. I may be leaving my current marina on S. Bass Island and going over to Catawba Island for the season. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

wolfe47374

Cadet
Re: Anyone familiar with these marinas on Catawba Island.

I wish I could help, but don't know much about that area yet. I did notice this post looking at info for Put in Bay and saw you had a boat similar to mine. I am planning a trip in june to put in bay and was wondering if you have had any issues with you boat out on erie. We are planning on going out of Marblehead and up to put in bay. I have a 24 ft Chap Deck boat with a very similar shape to yours. I know the weather can turn quick, but what else should I watch out for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello wolfe47374,

Let me start with the good news before the cautions. Island hopping from Marblehead can be great fun. I'm in the Coast Guard Aux at station Marblehead and often leave from there myself.

My Hurricane, like your Chaparral has a modified vee and a shallow deadrise which is not the greatest arrangement for boating on the Great Lakes. For me, anything much above a 2-3 foot chop and things can get a little rough in which case take it slow and watch your trim and you'll be fine.

Yes the weather can change quickly so stay on top of the forecast. Something that is not often mentioned is varying sea conditions. You can be cruising on flat seas and come out on the other side of an island into 3 ft seas so just be prepared for the possibility of sudden changes.

This is an ABSOLUTE!!! Make sure that you have (and have read) nautical charts for the western basin. The western part of Erie is very shallow relative to the rest of the lake. There are many reefs and shoals that boaters ground out on each year. You need to know where you're going!

I hope that I didn't make things sound too scarey because there not. Boating on the Great Lakes (which are actually seas) is great fun...just stay safe. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Paul Bolden

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Addendum to the above: Nautical charts for the western basin may not cover the islands in great detail. I should have specified nautical charts for the Lake Erie islands.

Paul Bolden