Johnson stator smoking

excalius

Cadet
Good evening,

I just replaced the stator on my Johnson 1997 40hp engine today since it wasn't starting any more and the engine started with the first crank but then there was smoke coming from the stator. I shut the engine off and it kept on smoking until I disconnected the battery.

It seems like I connected the yellow wires at the right location however when I connect the 2 yellow wires it starts to sizzle and overheat. If I disconnect, one of the yellow wires it stops.

The other thing that I found interesting is that before I was able to shut my engine with the key but it didn't shut off this time. Really confused with this issue. If anyone can suggest anything since I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Johnson stator smoking

They smoke a lot these electrical fires, all the insulation on the wires fuels it. Ive seen them burning away by themselves after the batterys disconnected.
Where did you connect the 2 yellow wires too?
If you have the battery leads connected on to the wrong battery terminal itl cause smoke on the engine too.
The engine shuts off when you turn the key and it completes a kill circuit (a ground) back to the powerpack so the charge from the stator in the powerpack goes to ground and not the coils.
Somethings gone wrong in that circuit. You can trace back the wiring- the blackwire with yellow line in it to find the fault. Or just choke it to kill it.
Pull your flywheel and check the new stator for insulation damage, you can epoxy if its bare in places and it should keep it insulated. If its melted the insulation and its left bare you will get more shorting and the engine will miss.'
Congrats on getting it firing up the first time

excalius

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

The yellow wires are connected to the regulator/rectifier which I would assume that it would prevent the power to head to the stator. I did double check the battery and the wires were on the right polarity.

Could it be that I have a bad regulator/rectifier?

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Probably now you do.

Is it an OMC/Bombardier stator or a generic? sounds like you got some wires crossed and are feeding power to something that doesn't like it.

New stator time and make sure that you get it properly wired before connecting power to it. If you don'tr have a wiring diagram for your motor, do not go any further until you do, and understand it.

Get a factory service manual. They pop up on eBay quite often.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yes, if you search on here you will find a test for it

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not exactly sure how your engine is wired but if it is wired like so many others, then a shorted rectifier can allow positive voltage to go through and to the stator easily. And if that stator is grounded because of overheating and insulation melted or feeding back through the ground terminal of the rectifier itself it is a complete circuit dumping lots of current through it making it hot and smoke and...well...useless now. So make very sure you check everything before installing a new stator and rectifier and hooking up the battery. Any missed problem(s) could mean buying another stator and rectifier all over again... I think your rectifier is toast personally and of course your stator is probably too...now! :sour: