Aq130 C 270 how to prime the fuel pump

amkohl

Cadet
I have a AQ130c 270 volvo motor on a boat I jjust purchased.

My question is, the boat has been sitting for 10 years, it was winterized before sitting up, If you poor gas in the Carbs it will start right up, I knew the gas was very old in it so I cleaned the gas tank and fuel filter, put more gas in it and when I try to start it it does not start, It seems as if the gas is not going through, do I need to prime it or what do I need to do.

Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Also I think it is a manual fuel pump

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aq130 C 270 how to prime the fuel pump

If it's sat for that long the pumps diaphram might have gone bad.
There should be an antisiphon valve at the tank pickup tube.
They can stick/rust and stop the fuel.
You can try this: take a squeezie ball from an outboard.
Install it in line and try to pump it up.
If it pumps up and gets firm.Then the diphram should be ok.
Won't get firm,then the pump is probably shot.
It can allow fuel into the oil so be carefull.

amkohl

Cadet

Thanks I will try this today :)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The correct pump for that engine will have a primer lever on it. You can also try putting on a short section of fuel line on the suction side of the pump and putting the other end in a can of gas. You'll still need to feed a trickle of gas to the carbs for a little bit but it shouldn't take long for the pump to take over if it's still working.

Older fuel hoses degrade over time so it wouldn't hurt to replace them with more modern, ethanol friendly, hoses. I agree with the anti-syphon valve being rusted. That could very well be one of the problems. You'll just have to work backwards from the pump to locate the specific component that's giving you problems. That's just the nature of the beast with an older boat.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's been sitting for a while, like after winter storage, I take off the gas cap and crank the engine for about 40-60 seconds while pumping the throttle (in neutral). Fires up like a charm.

I've had issues getting it primed until I took off the gas cap. Maybe creating a vacuum in the tank? Maybe it was about to fire up anyway? I don't know, but it works for me.

amkohl

Cadet

Ok so I took off what I am assuming is the antisiphon valve and I sucked gas up through it and I can blow through the fuel filter so I am assuming both of those are fine? I did notice there is gas under neath the fuel pump like maybe it is leaking. I found the priming lever but when I push the lever it gives no resistance until you get it all the way down and it gives very little resistance so I was not sure if it was working correctly. Thanks for all the help:)

amkohl

Cadet

I filled the fuel filter full of gas, then unhooked the line from the gas tank and blew in it forcing gas into the pump and when I would manually prime it, it would pump the gas and squirt gas out like it was pumping ( I had it unhooked from the carburator) but when I hooked it all back up it would not pump it from the tank.

amkohl

Cadet

No but I filled the fuel filter full of gas, then unhooked the line from the gas tank and blew in it forcing gas into the pump and when I would manually prime it, it would pump the gas and squirt gas out like it was pumping ( I had it unhooked from the carburator) but when I hooked it all back up it would not pump it from the tank.

Maclin

Admiral

Seems like an air leak in the vacuum side of the plumbing to the pump. Can you rig in a portable tank and have the pump try to draw from that?

amkohl

Cadet

Yes I will try that today, Thanks

amkohl

Cadet

I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and all the lines, cleaned the carb, everything is running great but now the water pump is leaking anyone know where the best place is to get a new one?

amkohl

Cadet

Ok I took the boat to the water today just to see how she would run

Well the engine ran good but when you would get up to about 3000RPMS it starts slipping it will rev all the way up to 5000 Rpms but it is still not going any faster. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong or what I need to do?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You should probably start a new thread so your question doesn't get buried at the bottom of this one. But first do a search in the prop section for "spun prop" and start there and see if that's the issue.

If that's not it, you'll probably be looking for a replacement upper gearbox.

And by the way, there are good people on both forums where you're posting your problems, but it's usually not considered good manners to ask the exact same questions on different forums - just sayin'.