1964 85hp 850 I/L6 idel help

Chinpoker

Seaman
Hey guys n girls I was wondering if anyone can help me out I had just finished rebuilding the carbs n fuel pump but me being the dummy I am forgot what the idel adjustment screw was seated at anyone have a clue on what the factory setting is at for a starting point ? Here's the problem it starts fine now as it was hard to start when I first got it but after the rebuild I can't get it to idel and stay on without having the idel lever up abit if I bring it down it stalls out I believe it to be the idel adjust screw as I forgot how many turns it was to seat it anyhelp on a starting point or factory setting would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Thanks in advance
One sad new boat owner 

merc850

Commander
Re: 1964 85hp 850 I/L6 idel help

Set them 1-1/4 turns out from lightly seated then with the motor running at 1200rpm in the water in gear turn them slowly in or out 'til the motor gains a couple of hundred rpms. Check the acceleration for smoothness.

Chinpoker

Seaman

Thank you Merc850 for the starting point. Guess I got a new project install a rpm gauge any tips on how to hook it up us it easy

emckelvy

Commander

Thank you Merc850 for the starting point. Guess I got a new project install a rpm gauge any tips on how to hook it up us it easy

A regular marine-style outboard tach can be connected with the signal wire hooked to either one of the yellow wires coming from the stator, at the rectifier.

Or, an automotive tach could be used, just switch the tach to "6-cylinder" and take input off the neg (-) terminal of one coil. Each coil fires 3 cylinders, and since it's a 2-stroke has twice as many power pulses than a 4-stroke, so the 6-cylinder setting works great.

Years ago my good boating friend used a car tach on his old 90hp V4 Evinrude, he set it for 4-cylinders and it did the job. Cheap, too as he had a car tach just sitting around, taking up space.

Here's a wiring diagram for your motor, F.Y.I.:

http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/0_1965a/8.pdf

HTH..........ed