Broken plastic bearing buddies. Im screwed

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I was adding grease to the fitting on my plastic bearing buddy type ( I didnt buy them, they came on the boat trailer when I got it) and the thing snapped off right on the grease gun and the spring went flying. Now Id like to remove this horrible invention (who was the genius who decided that they should be plastic?) and put on regular metal bearing buddies. How the world does this thing come off. I tried wacking it near the hub with a hammer and screwdriver to loosen it but it wont budge and I keep cracking it more. Does anybody have an idea how I can get these stupid things off? I still cant believe they sold those things. Just like a metal one except all plastic. Thanks in advance. Bob

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Broken plastic bearing buddies. Im screwed

Just keep cracking till it's gone,it's already junk.it should come off like a regular one.
Grub

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You must have gotten a good one. The plastic ones usually fly off by themselves.

Pound the crap out of it, crack it, break it, pry it, whatever. When you reach the spindle nut take off the hub and pound it off from the back with a punch. Put new seals and a new BB on and start with a clean slate. You need to repack them anyway.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just tap it side to side w a hammer... ditch the screwdriver and gently rock it out

UncleWillie

Captain

If there is enough to hit with a hammer, is enough to grab with some large slip joint pliers?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I personally would take that entire hub off and clean everything out to make very sure there are no pieces of plastic that could get into the bearings and cause more problems. Then repack like previous posted and install new BB's and move on...